Author Topic: GT500 A/C Components - Finish Details & Does Someone Rebuild The Idler Pulleys  (Read 3488 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
I believe the C8ZX tag was not used to identify the stand alone compressor but the compressor combined with the larger diameter field coil style clutch as a complete assembly. There is no difference internally between C8AA and C8ZX compressors. On the bracketry perhaps rhe style on left was used on 390s or other plants but I've never seen anything other than style on right for 68 GT 500. I haven't seen the earliest cars but have done several Dec 67 cars and all had style on right
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 8T03S1425

Tim, thanks for telling us about your experiences and observations with regard to '68 GT500s.

Some questions to all:

My car was originally purchased by a Dr. in the Lynn, MA area. Sometime after he sold it, or traded it in on a new car, and before I bought it in June 1976, I'm all but certain that this Shelby GT500 Mustang was rode really hard and put up soaking wet more than once. Warranty records I got from Mongo show that the Dr brought it in for warranty work for freon leaks and recharges. At some point, and perhaps off warranty, the C8ZX compressor assembly was replaced with what I currently have, the C9AZ-B labeled compressor and whatever clutch is currently on it. What I don't know is if the larger diameter field coil style clutch was carried over from the original compressor to this replacement compressor labeled C9AZ-B.

Here are 2 pictures of the compressor, with the pulley and clutch attached. Is this the clutch with the large diameter field coil?

...and here's a picture of the ID plate. While I'd like to believe that the compressor assembly may have worked for a while, what does the info on the plate tell us about this compressor and its suitability, from a performance aspect, in a GT500 application?

If the compressor can be used, and the clutch is not the large diameter field coil, can a large diameter field coil be fitted to this compressor?

Why was a large diameter field coil selected for use on GT500s with A/C?

Steve

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Tim, thanks for telling us about your experiences and observations with regard to '68 GT500s.

Some questions to all:

My car was originally purchased by a Dr. in the Lynn, MA area. Sometime after he sold it, or traded it in on a new car, and before I bought it in June 1976, I'm all but certain that this Shelby GT500 Mustang was rode really hard and put up soaking wet more than once. Warranty records I got from Mongo show that the Dr brought it in for warranty work for freon leaks and recharges. At some point, and perhaps off warranty, the C8ZX compressor assembly was replaced with what I currently have, the C9AZ-B labeled compressor and whatever clutch is currently on it. What I don't know is if the larger diameter field coil style clutch was carried over from the original compressor to this replacement compressor labeled C9AZ-B.

Here are 2 pictures of the compressor, with the pulley and clutch attached. Is this the clutch with the large diameter field coil?

...and here's a picture of the ID plate. While I'd like to believe that the compressor assembly may have worked for a while, what does the info on the plate tell us about this compressor and its suitability, from a performance aspect, in a GT500 application?

If the compressor can be used, and the clutch is not the large diameter field coil, can a large diameter field coil be fitted to this compressor?

Why was a large diameter field coil selected for use on GT500s with A/C?

Steve
Both the compressor and the field coil type clutch have been replaced. The replacement set up will work fine for anything the GT 500 can through at it. The only short coming besides the tag is that the finish should be silver paint like some cars or bare aluminum like other cars. The field coil should be plated zinc silver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 8T03S1425

Thank you Bob.

So, I may have this compressor rebuilt and reinstalled is an interim option till I can source an OEM or rebuilt C8ZX compressor assembly.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:17:04 PM by 8T03S1425 »