Author Topic: Looking for driveshaft and leaf spring stripe info  (Read 996 times)

Offline Beeler422

Looking for driveshaft and leaf spring stripe info
« on: October 13, 2023, 03:31:01 PM »
1968 gt350 4 speed built in Nov of 67 at Metuchen.  Can someone advise on the stripes for the driveshaft and springs?

Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for driveshaft and leaf spring stripe info
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 05:53:31 PM »
1968 gt350 4 speed built in Nov of 67 at Metuchen.  Can someone advise on the stripes for the driveshaft and springs?

Thanks.
Rear leaf spring ID is a orange stripe about one inch wide on the rear portion of the bottom leaf spring. This info and more is available at    http://www.thecoralsnake.com/
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 10:57:15 PM »

Thanks.

For the rear springs we would need to know your body type since the factory build sheets show Brown while the convertible shows Orange. Guess the Brown could be mistaken as orange in some of the examples of original markings on 68 rear springs I have.

As for driveline the colors are below taken from a 68 GT350 4 speed. In this case the body style does not make a difference nor does the transmission type or when, during the production year, either

I think it shows the abbreviations for the coding in the article in the Library titled Paint Marks the Basics or something like that. Works out to be

Light Blue - Dark Blue - Pink

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 12:16:48 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 10:58:12 PM »

Thanks.

Dead Nuts On can sell you a reproduction drive shaft with the correct color stripes. They are reasonable and I highly recommend them. [size=78%]1967-69 FORD Concours Driveshaft Restoration Service - Dead Nuts On[/size]

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 11:00:00 PM »
For the rear springs we would need to know your body type since the factory build sheets show Brown while the convertible shows Orange. Guess the Brown could be mistaken as orange in some of the examples of original markings on 68 rear springs I have.

As for driveline the colors are below taken from a 68 GT350 4 speed. In this case the body style does not make a difference nor does the transmission type or when, during the production year, either

I think it shows the abbreviations for the coding in the article in the Library titled Paint Marks the Basics or something like that. Works out to be

Light Blue - Light Blue - Pink

Hope this helps

Hmmm looks like Light Blue Dark Blue Pink to me.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 12:17:18 AM »

Hmmm looks like Light Blue Dark Blue Pink to me.

Lost focus for a moment - Fixed  :)

Sounds like he's restoring his driveline. If so hope he looked at that thread and the article in the Library. Wouldn't IMHO buy a driveline just to have the stripes  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator

Offline Beeler422

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 08:41:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  That's what I needed.

Another question rather than start a new topic.

I'm looking for a part that I can't find.  There was a plastic piece between the gas tank and the trunk flange that the sending unit wire ran inside of.  I can't find that anywhere. Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 08:44:44 PM »
....................Another question rather than start a new topic.

I'm looking for a part that I can't find.  There was a plastic piece between the gas tank and the trunk flange that the sending unit wire ran inside of.  I can't find that anywhere. Thanks.

Split that earlier question and merged it with a current longer one on the subject. You Should have been sent, if you choose to be notified of responses to your posts, a notification and a link to that thread.

Here it is anyway

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19639.0
Jeff Speegle

Offline Beeler422

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »
Split that earlier question and merged it with a current longer one on the subject. You Should have been sent, if you choose to be notified of responses to your posts, a notification and a link to that thread.

Here it is anyway

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19639.0

Ooooh. Lol.  I thought I was crazy.  I knew I typed that out.