Author Topic: Power brake booster vacuum hose  (Read 1798 times)

Offline kwemj 67

Power brake booster vacuum hose
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:35:58 PM »
The power brake booster hose on this 68 500 A/C car hooks into the steel line coming off PCV block to get its vacuum for the booster like most big blocks? Reason asking is I have the original hose with check valve that goes into booster and the way the hose is bent and length, it seems like it goes into the back of the carb which looks like it has the correct sized male nipple. If that is the case then I would delete the steel vacuum line and maybe find a different block that doesn't have the spot for the steel line. Will attach picture of original hose and picture of back of intake.
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power brake booster vacuum hose
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
The power brake booster hose on this 68 500 A/C car hooks into the steel line coming off PCV block to get its vacuum for the booster like most big blocks? Reason asking is I have the original hose with check valve that goes into booster and the way the hose is bent and length, it seems like it goes into the back of the carb which looks like it has the correct sized male nipple. If that is the case then I would delete the steel vacuum line and maybe find a different block that doesn't have the spot for the steel line. Will attach picture of original hose and picture of back of intake.
The vacuum hose coming off of the metal line is the assemblyine way. Of course there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.You have to decide which way you want it, the factory way or some other modified way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Mr Gaines is correct. The factory used the steel line. They also used a different style clamp. There would be no provision on the factory carburetor . Can you give us more information on the carb? The base plate does not look correct.

I note several other small items that could easily be corrected. If thats your goal, I would be happy to share.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:07:12 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
There is some sort of home brew plug in the rear of the intake manifold too that is not right.
It should look like this:
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »
Want to make it correct, so will stick with metal vacuum line and I have some new correct vacuum hose and the correct pinch style clamps. Definitely one any other things you see that might not be correct are appreciated. The carb is the correct C8ZX and date is about three weeks prior to car build. The throttle plate must have been changed sometime in its life. Will keep eye out for one. Thanks again. And thanks Pete on the breather hose, should be here in about a week.
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Check the four feet on the base plate, they should have a rounded appearance. There are several originals on ebay right now.

I agree with Royce on the rear football shaped cover.

You could make the valve cover gaskets silver. LMK if you need help

Three wiring j hooks for valve covers.

The return spring bracket looks different from what you have.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 07:43:55 PM »
c8zx a has unique base plate/throttle shaft . very hard to find correct.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America