Author Topic: 66 Fuel Tank Insulation  (Read 2865 times)

Offline gimmea250swb

66 Fuel Tank Insulation
« on: December 17, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
I searched Virginia Classic Mustang and NPD and can't find the jute type matting that goes on top of the fuel tank on a 66 SJ FB. Any sources?
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Fuel Tank Insulation
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 07:05:59 PM »
What insulation on 66 San Jose fastbacks are your referring to? Not a typically used/found item on these earlier cars

Goo subject though to discuss and to look at examples
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 07:10:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:52:27 PM »
What insulation on 66 San Jose fastbacks are your referring to? Not a typically used/found item on these earlier cars

This is over on BAT right now https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-mustang-462/

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 11:43:09 PM »
This is over on BAT right now https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-mustang-462/

Yes I see it on that car. Would want to see allot more examples with such a pad than a single example and from the same production period as the car being asked about. Looks like the OP was likely asking about a possible March built car.   Would not add one to a 66 San Jose car based on what I've owned and seen but others may have different opinions.

Not sure what the blue liner is between the pad and the mat also but suggests someone has been changing or improving things

Will be interesting to see others as we discuss this future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:45:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline gimmea250swb

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »

Thanks Jeff, I'm referring to what would go on top of the fuel tank (if any).
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »
My first thought is that the gas tank looks painted which if so means a replacement. If the gas tank was replaced that calls into question if the pad had been added. I have not seen a  66 SJ  car with a pad in a survivor context before which makes me question this one. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »
After reviewing the underside close up of the gas tank makes me more suspicious of gas tank replacement, Besides the duller look of silver paint on some replacement gas tanks the patina of the gas tank and shiny new appearing sender does not match its surroundings. Side to side the road grim covered exhaust and suspension and directly in front grimy leaking rear end center section do not seem to match the gas tank . This would not be a big surprise based on the other typical maintenance items that seem to have been replaced in other areas.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gimmea250swb

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 12:47:48 PM »
I have not seen a  66 SJ  car with a pad in a survivor context before which makes me question this one.

Thanks Bob
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline 21.04

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
I have a low mileage unrestored March 23 '66 projected build Sprint Conv with black std interior from the Metuchen plant that I purchased from the original owner.  The car has never been apart.  It also has the same brown insulation on top of the fuel tank.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 03:43:51 AM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 02:49:44 PM »
I have a low mileage unrestored March 23 '66 projected build Sprint Conv from the Metuchen plant that I purchased from the original owner.  The car has never been apart.  It also has the same brown insulation on top of the fuel tank.

Thanks for sharing. Of course two owners or even dealers addressing a complaint from an owner could have come up with the same or similar product to add to a car back in the day. Given the large amount of 66's or 65 and 66's one might expect to have allot more examples found and seen over the years especially from one of the two most popular years and most often restored Mustangs since the clubs and shows started over 40 years ago.

The thread will provide a place to collect findings if more examples are out there and we'll have to be patient and see where it leads us.

21.04 may I as what interior the car you mentioned was ordered with? Looking for a condition or reason why the car might receive something different from others.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Murf

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 04:43:04 PM »
I suspect that jute mat is to cut the "sloshing" noise on cars such as convertible   ( the well liner is a poor sound barrier ) and fast backs ( the door opens between the  trunk and the passenger compartment) when the tank is partially filled.  Coupes have the jute mat placed upright between the  trunk and the passenger cabin.  Maybe others will jump in on this and we will see if it is valid?  So does your coupe have NO jute and does a convertible and fastback commonly get the pad?  Lets see what others find!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 06:05:28 PM »
I suspect that jute mat is to cut the "sloshing" noise on cars such as convertible   ( the well liner is a poor sound barrier ) and fast backs ( the door opens between the  trunk and the passenger compartment) when the tank is partially filled.  Coupes have the jute mat placed upright between the  trunk and the passenger cabin.  Maybe others will jump in on this and we will see if it is valid?  So does your coupe have NO jute and does a convertible and fastback commonly get the pad?  Lets see what others find!

Thought it might be connected like in later years with the deluxe interior but still have original examples in pictures and ones we've seen and owned without. Also could not find them shown in the assembly manual pages we have available. We'll see but one would expect that if it were installed through the year at all plants we would have seen hundreds of them by now. Time may tell.

On a similar not was going to start a thread last year to look at underlayment pads we have found on 67-68's Have a fair number of those documented but have not found a pattern yet.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 21.04

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:38 PM »
Here are some photos of the trunk insulation.  From this thread, it appears there have been very few to no examples of this found in other 65-66 cars yet.  I was planning to use this on my '66 HP t-bred, but I may hold this out until further discussion or evidence surfaces.  The car is so virgin original I don't see anything to suggest this car was not delivered with it.  Surely not home made.  Car has black standard interior.  Almost exactly 32.5" long, 24.5" wide and 1/2" thick.  If the trunk area became wet at all, this would have been the first thing to get tossed.  Perhaps why more have not showed up.

-Matt
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:38:44 PM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 11:13:55 PM »
Matt  So not like other underlayment like under the carpet or over the "rear hump" on some models?  Not sure why this area would get wet especially on garage kept cars or cars from the south west, but the search continues. 

Called a couple of original owners of 66's and they reported that their cars never received a pad under the trunk mat - These three were all 66 San Jose fastbacks.  Will maybe contact some more owners as time becomes available.

Jeff Speegle