Author Topic: 1970 Boss 429 Correct Undercarriage Paint  (Read 206 times)

Offline 1970boss9

1970 Boss 429 Correct Undercarriage Paint
« on: March 03, 2024, 04:56:44 PM »
Hello. I'm new to the forum, as you can tell by this being my first post. I just picked up a 1970 Boss 429 project. It's KK2425, built on 11/26/1969. It is a calypso coral car. I received the car stripped down, as the previous owner had started the restoration process. The car has already been cut in with red oxide and paint in the door jams and floor board. I plan to redo this, as I just want to make sure the car is done correctly and I can answer any questions about the restoration process.

My main question is whether anyone has any information on how the undercarriage paint should be for a mustang produced on this date at the Dearborn plant? Unfortunately I cannot use the car as a reference but I want to get it as close to concours correct as possible.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Grant
1966 GT350 Carryover
1970 Boss 302
1970 Boss 429 (Current Restoration)
2016 GT350R

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Boss 429 Correct Undercarriage Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 07:07:57 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support your looking for in relationship to concours needs your looking for.

There are allot of prior threads and discussions that have been posted since we first open so get use to at least trying the search features. We tend to move new threads to older threads to keep the related discussions together rather than have dozens of individual threads on the same subject

First is unfortunate someone stripped the car since it was the only place you would be able to find what the exact original of the finish of the floor pans from firewall rearward and the front frame rail finish was from firewall forward. With this said the best we can provide is another car from the same or about the same production period to use. Of course the model didn't make a difference (Boss 429 for example) same practices and products used for things like this as any Mustang built at Dearborn that year and time.
Might be best if you started with the Article on the subject found in the Library section of the site. Click on the 1970 Section then down the page find the article labeled - Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1970 Dearborn Built Mustangs

We can progress from there with examples of finishes used on cars around your cars time as mentioned above

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970boss9

Re: 1970 Boss 429 Correct Undercarriage Paint
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 11:11:50 PM »
J_Speegle that is a great place to start. Thank you for steering me in that direction. I will dig into the article and go from there.
1966 GT350 Carryover
1970 Boss 302
1970 Boss 429 (Current Restoration)
2016 GT350R