Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - Passenger Side Fastback Trunk Panel  (Read 110 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Recently I was reminded about the two different style of passenger side trap door frame panel used during 1966 production so thought I would take a closer look and post.

For reference and to define the different panels I offer the two below. Location of panel to help understand its location and relationship to other panels in a 66 fastback

On one the panel is basically flat with a few edge bends to help it smoothly attach to the surround panels.

The other version was stamped with a depression or dimple stamped in the upper surface of the panel as shown below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3/22/2024 Update. Currently my findings so far

Appears that the dimpled panels were installed during two production periods at San Jose during 1966 production. Not sure if this related to a supplier issue or if a single shipment of these panels was sent to San Jose for the second very short time period indicated in the graph below.

Currently - by VIN I have

- Non-dimpled/flat panels starting from the beginning of 66 production to approx 6R1203xx
- Dimpled panels installed starting around 6R1209xx and ending around 6R1407xxx

- Flat panels again being installed starting at approx 6R150xxx and ending around 6R152xxx
- Dimple panels being installed for a very short time around 6R163xxx

- And finally the flat panels beginning again around 6R175xxx until the end of 1966 production

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:16:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 SJ Running Change Thread - Passenger Side Fastback Trunk Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 05:16:26 PM »
New information added to the original post
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)