Author Topic: Product Evaluation - TMI Deluxe Door Panels -  (Read 4140 times)

Offline jwc66k

Product Evaluation - TMI Deluxe Door Panels -
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »
I installed a set of TMI "Pony Door Panels" in my 66 hardtop that originally came with the factory standard interior and here's what I found right, what I found wrong and what I did to make it work.
Materials needed (per TMI instruction sheet):
A. Pony Door Panels          
B. Door latches             
C. Pony interior inside door handles   
D. Pony door handle escutcheon   
E. Pony door handle escutcheon spring   
F. Chrome door panel moldings
G. Hand cups
H. Hand cup inserts
I. Hand cup brackets
J. Deluxe door panel clip package
K. Optional pony door courtesy lights
What is not called out on the TMI instruction sheet are the part numbers and descriptions of the screws used at the rear of panel (66 only), the screws used to retain the outer molding, the tape to cover the outer molding screws and hardware used to attach the remote mirror control. 
Additional materials, quantities and p/n's for all (totals are for both doors)
1. 12 ea 380552-S101 long throat door panel clips w foam
2. 16 ea 380552-S3 long throat door panel clips
3. 4 ea 45144-S2 10-12 nut clips
4. 4 ea 52727-S2 10-12X1/2 pan head screws
5. 4 ea 377948-S2 8-18X1/2 wafer head screws
6. 2 ea 53060-S13 8-15X1.0 oval head screws
7. 2 ea 52383-S13 10-12X1 1/4 oval head screws
8. 8 ea (no Ford p/n) 2-26X1/4 flat head screws
9. A/R Gaffers tape
10. 3M Strip Calk, or 3M Seam Sealer
Items 1 and 2, the clips, should be installed on the new panels as the old panels are removed to get a better alignment of the clips. There are additional used on the Deluxe panels. Available at AMK. You do need the long throat types.
Items 3 and 4 are for the hand cup brackets. Available at AMK.
Item 5 is to attach the hand cup to the bracket. Available at AMK.
Item 6 is used at the rear of the panel to the door, 1966 only. NOT available at AMK. Substitute 55935-S8, 55947-S or 53066-S13 (different thread pitch, material, length or finishes but same head size).
Item 7 is used to attach the LH remote mirror control to the door. NOT available at AMK. Substitute 55389-S45 (different length).
Item 8 is used at the ends and center of the outer trim molding for retention. NOT available at AMK. I got the flat head wood screws at a local hardware store. I used size 2 but a size 3 or 4 might work. The critical dimension is the length, 1/4 inch. Use a punch or awl with a solid backing on a flat surface to make new holes in the panel, don’t use a drill. I had a set of original trim moldings so I didn’t need to make measurements. However, the end holes are located about 3 inches from the end, the second set is about 12 inches from the end. One of the original trim moldings did not have the second set of holes so I used the other one as a guide. Use a tapered punch to create a countersink in the trim panel.
Item 9 is used to cover the heads of the screws, item 8. Cut tape to 5/16 to 3/8 inch wide about 2 inches long.
NOTE: Gaffers Tape is the closest tape to what the factory used, but factory tape was black on both sides, Gaffers Tape is white on the adhesive side.
Item 10 is used to stick the water shields back in place as you need to peel back the shields to gain access to the door to install the nutclips, item 3.
The original inner trim moldings fit very well and I needed only to bend the pointy tabs. I can't comment on the reproduction variety.   
I had previously installed the deluxe interior inside door mechanism and handles so that step was done. As this was a 66, the doors had the two sets of slots and holes for the deluxe hand cup brackets and the additional holes for the panel clips. I assume that 1965 doors may or may not have the slots and holes depending on build date.
The only problem I had was one of the pre-punched holes for the panel clips was filled with foam so I needed to remove the foam with a knife.
My evaluation of the TMI Deluxe Pony Door Panels, very good. As I used the black panel, I cannot comment on color matches for other colors.
Jim 
Corrected punctuation flaws - 9/13/23
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 04:34:33 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Flade

Re: Product Evaluation - TMI Deluxe Door Panels -
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 02:56:32 PM »
In Reference to item #8.  The 66 Assembly manual only indicates a single screw (53060-S13) are the rear center of the door trim. (Not 4 as indicated in the post)

There is no reference in the 65 manual.

Was this a running change or a fix implemented in 66?   
Were additional screws installed near the front on some cars?

Does anyone have pictures of an original door with the screw?
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »
In Reference to item #8.  The 66 Assembly manual only indicates a single screw (53060-S13) are the rear center of the door trim. (Not 4 as indicated in the post)
I see a quantity of 2 in the original post.
There is no reference in the 65 manual.
That's because screw 56030-S13 was added for 1966 Mustangs deluxe door panels as part of the 9-28-65 revision. That is within a day of the first 66 Mustangs produced at Dearborn, so it would be safe to assume all 1966 Mustangs with the deluxe interior receiver the screw. Did you look in this forum's library under topic "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet, 64-66" file "MHW64-66PN.xlsx"?
What year Mustang are you concerned with?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 05:30:37 PM »
I've inspected deluxe door panels from many suppliers.  IMHO TMI makes the closest assembly line feeling pad on the market.  Nearly all other suppliers deluxe pads are rock hard feeling, with no plushness to them.  TMI's '66 red panels, however are far off the original color.  Too orange/pink. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 05:34:16 PM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline Zi.gg.y

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 11:27:19 AM »
If you're confused like me where Item 6 (53060-S13) the single screw at the rear (closer to trunk) center of the door trim should go, found a pic here where you can see the holes in the chrome door panel moldings. Seems I got wrong ones
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21288.0