Author Topic: Ball Joints 67, Upper and Lower Arm Rebuilding  (Read 14669 times)

Offline Maksim27

Re: Ball Joints 67, Upper and Lower Arm Rebuilding
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2024, 10:01:25 PM »
This is how the OEM ball joint housing looks like all cleaned up.  NOS ball joints have different cup variations and the cups look more round on the edges as can been seen on Bills pictures.  The only thing that DC could improve are the BJ cups to mimic at least Moog cups and elongate the stud as Bill mentioned.  Not sure if the OEM housings can be molded and reproduced to concours & thoroughbred.   I remember in 8th grade Metal class we would put a metal piece in a sand to make a mold, then pour hot liquid to make another casting.  Does anyone have blacksmith abilities to reproduce the casting at least or maybe it's unsafe to do as the Supplier used a special casting to make these BJ housings. 

The last picture is how a similar NORS shaft Hex cups could look like to an OEM shaft cups.

Offline kitdoctor

Re: Ball Joints 67, Upper and Lower Arm Rebuilding
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2024, 07:54:26 PM »
I doubt they would be manufactured using a casting technique for various reasons including it would be too slow a process. I'm not an expert but I'd say pressed using a die. 
Dirty laundry list:
'70 Torino Cobra SCJ Medium Red, C-code, 24k miles
'70 XW GS Fairmont Diamond White, auto, 40k miles
'71 Boss 351 fastback Grabber Yellow 5k miles
'73 XA GT sedan Lime Glaze, 4 speed, 81k miles
'77 XC Fairmont GXL Onyx Black, 4 speed, 29k km
'78 P6 LTD Sno White, auto, 160k km