Author Topic: Barret Jackson Shelby  (Read 3301 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Barret Jackson Shelby
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
Does anyone else find this odd...apparently it is only supposed to have less than 8K miles yet it had a frame on restoration....What needed to be restored?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=346.2&aid=423&pop=0
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: Barret Jackson Shelby
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »
I dont think its unusual for a car with 8000 miles to get a full restoration.  After 40+ years probably more common than not.  Damn good looking car....
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
Says it has the original paint on it...not sure if they meant panels.  Also there should be red behind the Hertz logo on the center caps...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:57:16 AM »
Well from the link ,whoever restored the car didn't take any pictures for reference before the restoration.Surly a 8,000 survivor car would have great details to photograph and copy.  From the photos there are so many small mistakes in the engine compartment alone it must have been a novice who detailed it. They certainly were not up on the historical correct way.  I could only assume from all the mistakes i see the same percentage of mistakes would be in every other part of the car. I am a little skeptical of the 8,000 mile claim based on the poor historical detail i see in the photos but maybe it is a great car with poor attention to detail. The inaccurate descriptions that auction companies try to spin are a pet peeve of mine. This seems to be a example from the evidence so far.  Just my opinion. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:10:01 AM »
When one thinks of a 8000 mile car they typically think of a car well cared for and stored well, unfortunately this is not always the case since if it was there would be little reason to restore but instead mantain and show it as unrestored. Seen plenty of very low mileage cars from the Eastern half of the country that needed restorations like a 200,000 mile car.

Just depends

Since auctions sites may not always maintain pictures for reference we need to start grabbing and posting individual pictures so that these threads can remain useful in the future

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:11:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »
When one thinks of a 8000 mile car they typically think of a car well cared for and stored well, unfortunately this is not always the case since if it was there would be little reason to restore but instead mantain and show it as unrestored. Seen plenty of very low mileage cars from the Eastern half of the country that needed restorations like a 200,000 mile car.

Just depends
+1   If it was driven 8,000 miles in the first year and then parked in a field to sit for the next 40+ as it is 45 Years old, regardless of mileage.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
There are alot of very low mileage muscle cars that are restored now that spent most of there life as race cars ......

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
It's my understanding that ALL the Hertz cars were abused and wrung-out as rent-a-racers at the drags.  That accounts for the low mileage AND the need for restoration.
In the mid 60's, I'll bet all the guys who didn't have $ to own their own strip-car, would pool their money on Saturday afternoon and go rent one of these and go carelessly
make 10 or 15 passes while ABUSING A CAR THEY DIDN'T OWN.  You couldn't GIVE me one of these cars!  Only 3 wheels touch the ground.

They are kind of like getting you a previous State Patrol car at a salvage seller.  Ragged-Out, abused, worn out.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
It's my understanding that ALL the Hertz cars were abused and wrung-out as rent-a-racers at the drags.  That accounts for the low mileage AND the need for restoration.
In the mid 60's, I'll bet all the guys who didn't have $ to own their own strip-car, would pool their money on Saturday afternoon and go rent one of these and go carelessly
make 10 or 15 passes while ABUSING A CAR THEY DIDN'T OWN.  You couldn't GIVE me one of these cars!  Only 3 wheels touch the ground.

They are kind of like getting you a previous State Patrol car at a salvage seller.  Ragged-Out, abused, worn out.
The "ALL" is not exactly accurate . There is not much evidence to support a over abundance of drag racing of the Hertz cars back in the day in the SAAC archives. This is more likely the stuff of urban legend more then fact. It was a highly held belief 25 or 30 years ago and was reflected in the pricing up until about 20 years ago. I think they were wrung out just as much as any non Hertz car percentage wise. All of theses cars by nature were driven hard. I have had the pleasure of seeing a good number of unmolested original survivor type 66 GT350H cars which would seem to dispel the "ALL" conclusion. Just some observations for the discussion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby