Author Topic: vacuum canister  (Read 1614 times)

Offline shelby clone

vacuum canister
« on: February 25, 2022, 01:59:49 AM »
okay, I'm not sure on this one,  I've seen the 69 tilt away manual it shows a single nipple canister with the line going to the rear vacuum tree on the intake manifold then going to the vacuum control set up under the dash, is this correct, because I've seen where the canister has two nipples with one going to under the dash and the other to the rear intake vacuum tree????? which is correct for the 69 Shelby gt350.....again any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: vacuum canister
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 12:59:36 PM »
okay, I'm not sure on this one,  I've seen the 69 tilt away manual it shows a single nipple canister with the line going to the rear vacuum tree on the intake manifold then going to the vacuum control set up under the dash, is this correct, because I've seen where the canister has two nipples with one going to under the dash and the other to the rear intake vacuum tree????? which is correct for the 69 Shelby gt350.....again any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
The double is a substitute. That type is used for the A/C. The single is want came from the factory. It is mounted under the battery apron. You didn't mention the check valve mounted where the vac lines for the intake ,vacuum can and under dash vacuum motor intersect.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline shelby clone

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:21:45 PM »
NO I HAVE EVERYTHING FOR UNDER THE DASH, I FORGOT ABOUT THE CHECK VALVE THOUGH, WHATIS THE CORRECT ROUTING OF IT FROM THE VALVE UNDER THE DASH TO THE INTAKE TREE , WHICH WAY DOES THE SPLIT OF THE LINES GO?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:35:40 PM »
NO I HAVE EVERYTHING FOR UNDER THE DASH, I FORGOT ABOUT THE CHECK VALVE THOUGH, WHATIS THE CORRECT ROUTING OF IT FROM THE VALVE UNDER THE DASH TO THE INTAKE TREE , WHICH WAY DOES THE SPLIT OF THE LINES GO?
FYI you have your cap lock on  ;)  Single port goes towards intake and double port handles vacuum canister and under dash.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline shelby clone

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 11:26:45 PM »
yeah i noticed after i had it all typed out, just hoped you didn't think i was yelling!!!!  lol
anyways, how long should the vacuum line  be from the vacuum tree to the check valve?

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 07:51:47 PM »
Do all vacuum canisters look like they've been dipped in plastic dip?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »
Do all vacuum canisters look like they've been dipped in plastic dip?
Plastic dipped looking is typical from the factory. Many service parts vacuum cans were just painted black.

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 09:46:06 PM »
Should it be redone the same way? How much pressure would one of these take? Mine has a dent is the side and I was thinking of applying air pressure to see if it will pop.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 10:46:47 PM »
Should it be redone the same way? How much pressure would one of these take? Mine has a dent is the side and I was thinking of applying air pressure to see if it will pop.
It is your car so your choice. If you want it to look like assemblyline you will need to mimic the factory rubber look. Home depot sells the the spray rubber . It is the same stuff you dip tool handles in etc. I do not think that you will be successful in popping the dent out. NPD lists a nice repro  that will also need the spray treatment.

Offline Dennis Y

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 09:36:59 AM »
Going to vacuum test it today and if it holds, will probably respray it and put it back in. Didn't see a single port one on NPD.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 12:08:20 PM »
Going to vacuum test it today and if it holds, will probably respray it and put it back in. Didn't see a single port one on NPD.
If it does not hold vacuum try sealing it with the flex seal or what ever name brand product that you use to mimic the outside appearance of the original . The single port tank appears gone from NPD now . Worst case scenerio you can modify the double port tank that they list  https://www.npdlink.com/product/vacuum-tank-tilt-away-steering/148846  like we used to have to do with the A/C tank . The check valve is up by the vacuum source so it does not have to be in the can.