1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1968 Mustang

1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Drivers Side Mirror mounts

(1/6) > >>

bullitt68:
Just curious about the mounting holes for the mirror. Does this look correct or are these inserts for possibly stripped holes. Note the 2 sets of holes. Doers anyone have a photo of original mounting holes.

Thanks

67gtasanjose:
The outer screws look to be the correct nutzerks in the correct locations. The other two screw holes without the inserts are not correct.

At least the extra holes are not outside the mirror base so they would easily be covered with the mirror. If you choose to replace the inserts, fill the extra holes in. If you choose to leave and re-use the inserts, you may wish to leave the extra holes (who would ever know?).

bullitt68:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on September 25, 2019, 05:22:35 AM ---The outer screws look to be the correct nutzerks in the correct locations. The other two screw holes without the inserts are not correct.

At least the extra holes are not outside the mirror base so they would easily be covered with the mirror. If you choose to replace the inserts, fill the extra holes in. If you choose to leave and re-use the inserts, you may wish to leave the extra holes (who would ever know?).

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Obviously the large hole if for the remote mirror cables. I will most likely weld up the smaller in side holes and re use the nutzerks. I just wanted to confirm that the nutzerks were a factory thing and not added by a previous owner.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: bullitt68 on September 25, 2019, 12:26:07 PM ---Thanks. Obviously the large hole if for the remote mirror cables. I will most likely weld up the smaller in side holes and re use the nutzerks. I just wanted to confirm that the nutzerks were a factory thing and not added by a previous owner.

--- End quote ---

If you are going to weld the holes, I suggest REPLACING the inserts. You will be much happier when (not if) you do.

bullitt68:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on September 25, 2019, 01:43:52 PM ---If you are going to weld the holes, I suggest REPLACING the inserts. You will be much happier when (not if) you do.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Richard That makes sense I will go that route.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version