Author Topic: Inside color for 70 M1 trap door and top trim piece above it  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Blues Power

Inside color for 70 M1 trap door and top trim piece above it
« on: December 18, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
are they supposed to be interior color or black
ive seen them both ways and kind of like it all one color but im not sure which spray bomb to use to be correct

FWIW the back or trunk side is body color. looks like it was just haphazardly sprayed along with the hinges and not finished

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Inside color for 70 M1 trap door and top trim piece above it
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »
There is a very old thread on the subject of the rear panel finish for 69 and 70 for fold down cars.

From the examples I have the answer depends on what interior color the car was.  Are you looking for a specific answer or how they were finished for each color combination?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skidoodave

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
I too am interested in this topic. I’m going from a fixed rear seat to a fold down and would like to know the trap door and upper trim panel colour. The car is a 70 Mach 1 and has white Deluxe interior with black carpet. Would the trap door and trim be white or black?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 12:15:34 AM »
I too am interested in this topic. I’m going from a fixed rear seat to a fold down and would like to know the trap door and upper trim panel colour. The car is a 70 Mach 1 and has white Deluxe interior with black carpet. Would the trap door and trim be white or black?

Covered a long time ago so here again. 70 Pattern appears different than 69. Like 60 sort of looks odd and have seen a few where the owner/builder didn't replicate the original colors but went all white

The following example is of 0F02F1077xx

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:01:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Killer B

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »
Here is my unrestored 70 Boss 302, Dearborn car, Color Code T (Red) with Standard White interior-- This should show the correct colors.
I do find it interesting that my side panes are black where the pic above they are white.

B

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »
Here is my unrestored 70 Boss 302, Dearborn car, Color Code T (Red) with Standard White interior-- This should show the correct colors.
I do find it interesting that my side panes are black where the pic above they are white.

Thanks

When was it built? That might be the difference. Added to my post above that the top example is from a pretty early 70 Dearborn built sportroof - 0F02F1077xx

Don't know where or when the parts in the lower picture were from :(

Do find interesting that your passenger side rear corner panel does appear to have white on it in two areas .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:02:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Killer B

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »
The picture in from reply #4 is of 0F02G1693XX  Built on 3/16/70 -- From the Marti Report

It is a 1 owner car (I am the 2nd as of 24 days ago), AFIK it has ZERO restoration work done to it.  I am still in touch with the original owner so I can ask.

You mention the white showing through-- It is scratches, showing the color of the "plastic" where the black dye is no longer there.  Both sides match, and I see no signs they have ever been removed. 
I assume the raw panel material is whiteish in color and dyed accordingly.

I welcome your thoughts.

B

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »
The picture in from reply #4 is of 0F02G1693XX  Built on 3/16/70 -- From the Marti Report.......

For comparison the shot of the rear of the car with the corners done in white is from a very early example from Dearborn - 0F02F1077xx. So this could be a running change as mentioned. Would need more unrestored examples to fill in the gap. Know from years past that the 70 white interior fold down paint pattern was s a head scratcher with no resolution at that time

You mention the white showing through-- It is scratches, showing the color of the "plastic" where the black dye is no longer there.  Both sides match, and I see no signs they have ever been removed. 
I assume the raw panel material is whitish in color and dyed accordingly.

Thanks - that explains what we're seeing -paint chipped or worn through to the off white base color of the panels
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 03:07:51 PM »
Ok to Jeff or anyone else, my question is since an early 70 Dearborn Boss came with black rear 1/4 panels, could they also have black sail panels?

It would kinda make sense as though all the white parts would match each other which they really don't in the post

My car was done on 10/31/69 and I'm going with black 1/4 panels as pictured in this post.

thx Mike
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 04:12:26 PM »
Ok to Jeff or anyone else, my question is since an early 70 Dearborn Boss came with black rear 1/4 panels, could they also have black sail panels?

No it wasn's an option. Would guess that the only way that would happen is if someone made a mistake and multiple inspectors (highly unlikely) missed it the mistake

It would kinda make sense as though all the white parts would match each other which they really don't in the post

Looking at the examples from Dearborn cars above.  Reply #3 and #4, they appear to be white.  Not sure what you mean that they really don't in the post. Since things were made out of different materials, some painted at the suppliers then add in age of course they would not be exact always originally and especially after 50 years. After restoring a white interior car with fresh new coatings and material they are IMHO very close in tone and tint
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »
Jeff thx for input :) ;D
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv