1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1968 Mustang

Spare Tire Trunk/Gas Tank Board

(1/3) > >>

dkknab:
I have a question about the spare tire in the trunk.  I have a rectangular piece of fiber board that sits under the jack and jack handle protecting the gas tank. I have no way of knowing if it's original to the car.  Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?

J_Speegle:
NOTE: Changed the title of the thread to reflect your stated focus

Don't see why masonite board would not be original to your car if its the same shape and material that we typically find.

Have you seen this earlier thread on the general subject?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11915.msg72111#msg72111

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dkknab on August 14, 2022, 10:00:16 PM ---I have a question about the spare tire in the trunk.  I have a rectangular piece of fiber board that sits under the jack and jack handle protecting the gas tank. I have no way of knowing if it's original to the car.  Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?

--- End quote ---
The board typically went under the trunk mat material.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: dkknab on August 14, 2022, 10:00:16 PM ---..... Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?

--- End quote ---

Want to explain which of the different trunk mats you thinking of using?  68 NJ had a few

dkknab:
Thank you for the info and previous thread. I missed that one in my cursory search.

Attached is a picture of the mat I removed from my car and the replacement one showing my board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version