Author Topic: 67 289 POWER STEERING HOSES & PARTS I.D.  (Read 16430 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 289 POWER STEERING HOSES & PARTS I.D.
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Bob, your statement here seems to add confusion a little, mostly when I go back and look at the "original hoses" in the first set of images I posted when I began this thread. I'll look again at the "original" set of hoses I have, i know the "shortie" hoses were "single crimped",  but I'm not sure the other locations of the pressure and return hoses were all single crimped.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Blue Dot does NOT duplicate the small block hoses at this time. Now BIG block cars, that is another story. I called Blue Dot only a few months ago to double check. It would seem the closest "concours correct" replacement hose (for the majority of "judged" classes) at this time is any Ford Service replacement hose. (for applications like mine, early '67 small blocks with the 1/4" control valve end fitting and I believe this is also true of the later 5/16" control valve end hoses)

What I feel might help to see the differences in the pressure and return hoses is to upload some pictures of the 3 versions I now have. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'll try and do that later this evening, if time allows.
my reference was in regards to a blue dot repro for a particular application. They are a good alternative for the applications they are meant for.  If you say they don't offer a repro for your application then a service hose may be the best alternative. I hope you got the single crimp versions and will stand by for pictures to verify one way or the other.  I am thinking you got them from Bill Collins (midway through main building n side of main asle)as he had quite a few to pick from. I even picked through and bought some single crimped versions he had. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
Here are some pictures.
First picture of the "Shortie Hoses", assembly line correct with the single crimp & 3 ribs
2nd picture of the pump ends of the pressure hose left to right is Original, NOS, NPD's reproduction
3rd picture of the rubber insulator & hose ink markings. NPD's top, NOS center, Assembly line lower
4th picture of the center crimping & steel hose protectors. NPD's top, NOS center & Assembly Line lower
5th picture of the control valve ends. NPD's Left, NOS center and assembly line lower
6th picture of the RETURN line control valve ends, NPD's upper, NOS center assembly line lower
7th picture is of the NOS lines threaded into the control valve.
8th picture is of the assembly line hoses threaded into the control valve and
9th picture is of the NPD lines threaded into the control valve.

The NPD lines required work to get them to lay against the valve like the assembly line hoses did and naturally, the NOS lines required very little to no adjustment to fit like the original lines.

Summary: KEEPING IN MIND THIS WRITE UP IS FOR THE SMALL BLOCK POWER STEERING HOSES FOUND ON THE EARLY 1967 SMALL BLOCK MUSTANGS (with the 1/4" fitting) and NOT to be compared to BIG BLOCK MUSTANGS though the hoses would be very similar in looks and fitment as the later 67-68 small blocks that use the 5/16" fitting pressure hose & control valve. These are my findings when comparing 2 hoses I have found that LOOK much like the Concours, assembly line hoses. (NOTE: The only reproduction "Shortie" hoses found that closely match are made by Blue Dot, but they look more like the later hoses found in 70 Mustangs, not the early, single crimp type with large ribs in the hose like originally found on the 67's)

The NPD Pressure & Return lines WILL WORK if NOS cannot be found. Bending required to make them fit right.
NOS lines are the closest match I have found (to date) They are NOT easy to locate and priced accordingly.
Original lines are the only thing found to be exact & as Bob Gaines has pointed out, there are some differences as seen in the photos, differences mostly in the crimping in the center and at the lower ends but NO noticeable difference in the crimping on the end where it attaches to the pump.

I feel the NOS hoses I have found this past weekend are likely the closest available to the original assembly line ones. In reality, other than some coloring issues, IMHO, the NPD lines really are not that bad looking when you lay them side by side. Earlier, I mentioned the return line to be a swing and a miss but after tweeking it with a tubing bender and my fingers, using the control valve and the original hoses as a guide, I was able to make them fit fairly good (as seen)

I hope this helps somebody else out there, it has been a REAL chore for me to get these examples available in these side-by-side pictures. I had resigned to using the NPD hoses till I found the NOS ones. If I couldn't have found NOS, I surely would not have hesitated using the NPD lines till either I did find NOS or till they began to leak...just saying :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:37:57 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
my reference was in regards to a blue dot repro for a particular application. They are a good alternative for the applications they are meant for.  If you say they don't offer a repro for your application then a service hose may be the best alternative. I hope you got the single crimp versions and will stand by for pictures to verify one way or the other.  I am thinking you got them from Bill Collins (midway through main building n side of main asle)as he had quite a few to pick from. I even picked through and bought some single crimped versions he had.

Correct!

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
Question about dust boot clamp(s)

Below I have a picture of my restored slave cylinder and hardware.

Is there supposed to be a clamp on the inside edge of the slave cylinder's dust boot?... and if so any pictures? I have between 3 and 4 system's parts and cannot find a clamp in any of my inventory. I have found pictures of "restored" that have NO CLAMP which seem to confirm that no clamp was used at that location. It seems odd that no clamp is used there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:41:39 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 01:20:40 AM »
Question about dust boot clamp(s)

Below I have a picture of my restored slave cylinder and hardware.

Is there supposed to be a clamp on the inside edge of the slave cylinder's dust boot?... and if so any pictures? I have between 3 and 4 system's parts and cannot find a clamp in any of my inventory. I have found pictures of "restored" that have NO CLAMP which seem to confirm that no clamp was used at that location. It seems odd that no clamp is used there.
Just the pinch clamp on the rod end.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
2 NEW P/S related QUESTIONS: Presently, I'm doing the final assembly of my Power Steering Control Valve. Early '67 design with 1/4" pressure hose fitting, Actual Build date (of car) November 2, 1966

What DATE CODE would be expected to be found on the end cap? I had replaced this item twice before so original is long-gone.
Is there a casting date found on the cast housing all of the hoses thread into? If so, what would be expected?

Other Info: My original Power Steering Cylinder (ram) has a date code 6K25B (October 25,1966, 2ND shift). Would it be safe to assume a similar date on the end cap since both items theoretically are manufactured by the same vendor, Bendix?

Richard
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:58:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
2 NEW P/S related QUESTIONS: Presently, I'm doing the final assembly of my Power Steering Control Valve. Early '67 design with 1/4" pressure hose fitting, Actual Build date (of car) November 2, 1966

What DATE CODE would be expected to be found on the end cap? I had replaced this item twice before so original is long-gone.
Is there a casting date found on the cast housing all of the hoses thread into? If so, what would be expected?

Other Info: My original Power Steering Cylinder (ram) has a date code 6K25B (October 25,1966, 2ND shift). Would it be safe to assume a similar date on the end cap since both items theoretically are manufactured by the same vendor, Bendex?

Richard
Similar date code on cap but not the same date code from what I have seen. Date code of cap is for entire control valve assembly.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
Similar date code on cap but not the same date code from what I have seen. Date code of cap is for entire control valve assembly.

Great! :D That is what I was thinking too (thinking the cylinders would differ slightly in date)

I ask the 2nd question in last post because my DONOR center cast iron housings (I have two housings that have the 1/4" pressure inlet line) each have a letter and number code on the bottom, forward side, opposite of the RAISED lettering "BENDIX" and those codes are different from one another. The codes found on these two housings are S M   22 and SM  19. There is about 1/2 inch space between these stampings.

Then (as another example) I have a 3rd center cast iron housing (later type that uses a 5/16" inlet pressure line) that is not coded the same way AND the later cast housing has BENDIX De-Bossed INTO the housing with some sort of a code next to the "BENDIX" impression.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:58:12 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
Some good pictures of the 67-early 68 SHORTIE hoses
Richard Urch