Author Topic: Need suggestions for restoring bend of PS Pump Tube  (Read 1660 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Need suggestions for restoring bend of PS Pump Tube
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »
During shipping the Return Line Tube on the PS Pump Housing bent and am looking for suggestions on how to correct this. I have some ideas but would like some input, especially from anyone who may have had a similar experience or from anyone who has professional experience in bending tubing. It also has bent slightly where it attaches to the Housing.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Need suggestions for restoring bend of PS Pump Tube
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
looks more like it is collapsed. i do not see a good way to fix it. it is just brazed into the resevoir can. it can be replaced. new cans are available also.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
looks more like it is collapsed. i do not see a good way to fix it. it is just brazed into the resevoir can. it can be replaced. new cans are available also.

+1 It would be tough to keep from showing evidence of the repair.

What I have done on similar "NON Concours" jobs will straighten the line to "usable" and depending on how bad it is bent, might work out good enough, possibly perfect.

Using a torch (Benzo-matic might do it too) you can heat the sides of that flattened out tubing mildly while pushing the bent tubing towards being straightened and squeezing in on the sides of the flattened area. Problem being you might "square" out the tubing so the effort ought to be more in the heat and tweek using litle effort on the "squeeze".Let the HEAT do the majority of the work a bit more that the tweek. If you get a right balance of all three, heat, tweek and squeeze, you might just get it perfect but you really have only one shot.

You will need both hands if not two sets of hands for this task. It might help to have a 2nd set of hands that understand what you are trying to do AND maybe secure the pump or the reservoir, say with the nipple facing upwards with the pump shaft facing away from you to a vice or maybe strap it to a table...think of what will hold the pump down without any effort so it will not move around. I've use a steel insert like a steel dowel the size of the hole in the tubing (1/4 inch extension bar? Maybe that works on 3/8" tubing?)  I have been successful at straightening tubing bent this much before and at the same time, I have also been successful to the extent that the tubing"squared out" making it fuctional anyways.

Good luck whatever way you go, but I would certainly try at least to straighten it first.

Richard

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
if this for your sig car(65) then the it should be curved but not collapsed.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
There is a technique used to straighten out collapsed, dented or bent tubing on brass musical instruments that you might consider. Use a cylindrical solid bar of a smaller diameter than the tubing and 1 1/2 to 2 times longer to get to the contour you need. Several pieces of 1/4 and 5/16 diameter bolts cut to 3/8 (for the 1/4in) to 7/16 (for the 5/16in) long tapped in the tube will do the job. Make sure you have access to the other end of the tube to remove "stuck" bars, and to work both ends. Some heat would help. Start small and work your way up to the tube's ID. My trombone and cornet were "repaired" this way.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
Thanks all; I found a very simple way to restore the bend and diameter.

I modified a Wire Crimping Tool by filing it from the oval shape to a more rounded shape. Next, using a Heat Gun rather than a flame, heated the metal and began gently squeezing the tube in very small increments; along with a wood dowel this helped to restore the bend and the diameter. The few marks that I could see sanded out with 400 wet and dry.

I took photos of the Tool and the stages of repair...will post when I remember to bring my camera back from the office.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A