Author Topic: Rocker Panel Molding installation  (Read 19515 times)

Offline rodster

Re: Rocker Panel Molding installation
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 12:51:12 AM »
Allot of NOS parts are damaged after all these years - one of the reasons they are on the shelf and not a car IMHO. Even originally they showed up to the dealer with imperfections and were handed back to be returned to the shelf to sit, get moved around, box worn or worst.

Always had to go through 5-a dozen boxes it seemed to pick out the best gauge bezel, hubcap, moulding ....... in the 70-and 80's to get the best one the dealer had laying around.  What happened to the ones I and others didn't take?   They sat around another 20 plus years to today. Owners too often IMHO believe that they are buying perfect parts if they choose NOS - unfortunately not not the case allot of the time.

And sometimes,  new, slightly damaged take off parts are put back in the box and the box is returned to the shelf.  I though I was buying a NOS TBird taillight but the honest seller told me it was new take off part that his dealership put back in the box since the damage was so minimal.  They were probably trying to please a new car buyer who found something wrong with the taillight.

Question.....

Is there a preferred method to cleaning anodized parts?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
A regular paint polish/cleaner is all you need for anodized finishes.  Chrome polish will also work, but not really necessary since the anodizing is a layer on top of the underlying metal.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rodster

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
The NOS ones that have defective anodizing probably wouldn't be a huge cost since basically the piece just needs to be stripped of the current anodizing and then bright-dipped.  Compared to restoring original pieces, which will be dented/pitted, should be quicker to do one that is NOS.

Do you have a source for getting them done?   I have my originals and they aren't too bad and would consider sending them out to get restored.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 12:23:02 AM »
I have heard that the length of the rocker molding makes it a problem for some platers because their tanks are not long enough. Best to  give dimensions BEFORE sending off to be done to verify they can do them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Do you have a source for getting them done?   I have my originals and they aren't too bad and would consider sending them out to get restored.

Check with Butch's Trim in Wisconsin, google search should get you the phone number.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Angela

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »
I've repeatedly called both McNichols Anodizing and Butch's trim, leaving several voice mail messages yet neither business has answered the phone or called me back. Does anyone know of another place I could contact? Or, does anyone know someone at Butch's or McNichols such that perhaps I could get a different method by which I could reach someone at either of those businesses?

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
Hi
Thinking about to add RMP. Does anyone have the factory positions of the holes (to be drilled) available (scetch)?
Thx
Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Hello Ralf,

Here is what I have (fastback SJ).
I have measured everything in mm (in stead off inches), but for those who want to see and convert everything to inches, I have taken pictures (see annexe).
It's starts from left to right.
I have in totally 5 patches in plastic (see picture 1)
- the first is at 64 mm from the rear wheelwel
- the second is at 386 mm (so there is 322 mm between the first and second patch)
- the third is at 709 mm (so there is 323 mm between the second and third patch)
- the fourth is at 1032 mm (so there is 593 mm between the third and fourth patch)
- the fifth is at 1353 mm (so there is 321 mm between the fourth and fifth patch)
There is a 59 mm gap between the 2 drilled holes (per patch)
The upper hole is at 22 mm measured from the edge of the door (underneath the sill plates)
(Excuse me in advance for not knowing and subscribing all the correct terms ???)
Note : I have measured all holes accurately, the showed pictures are just to give you a good impression of what I have measured.
I hope that you have enough information to get started  ;D
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Ralf

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
Hi Jeroen,
Thats exactly what I was looking for. If really everything is measured correctly for that car built (mine is a SJ as well, but CV, 1967 model year) this is a great and useful report. However, I do not know if there were differences in car years. Your report refers to a 1967 built, correct?
However, should be sufficient enough to drill the holes in factory positions (unless smb. is showing up different measures).

There is one thing, which confuses me a bit:

"It's starts from left to right. >>> to me it means front wheel to rear wheel (which shows up your 1st. picture)
- the first is at 64 mm from the rear wheelwel" >>> here it starts from rear wheel?

Thx
Ralf
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:42:51 PM by Ralf »

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 03:44:26 PM »
Hello Ralf,

The pleasure is mine for helping you further.
Correct, my car is SJ built in January 67.
I can not confirm if there where differences over the years (67 - 68) or even in the same year?
Therefore I hope for you that the real experts shim in  ;)
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
Here are Ford rocker molding installation instructions.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Thank you...looks a bit different ;)

However, I have to admit that this is really a great forum!!

Independent what is been asked, you will get certainly help!

Thumbs up! Ralf

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:55 PM »
Here are Ford rocker molding installation instructions.

This says it's for a 69???
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
This says it's for a 69???
Yea Richard I was waiting for that. That drawing is out of a Ford kit to install 67-68 rocker moldings on a 69 car. I do not know why someone would want to do that but may be Ford wanted to sell extra 67-68 moldings? I can post the other half of the drawing showing the removal of the 69 clips if you are interested.
Marty

Offline Ralf

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »
But finally it's the correct measurement/drawing to install rocker moldings on a 67 car?
Ralf