Author Topic: Welding made easier - Copper Backing Plates  (Read 1617 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Welding made easier - Copper Backing Plates
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
Placing Copper behind holes in sheet metal to fill them, or behind 2 pieces of sheet metal that you are Butt Welding, or maybe to fill a slightly larger gap makes it a lot easier to obtain a better weld and helps avoid burn through. I already bought a Spoon at Harbor Freight, (see photo), for a good price that works well in some areas but leaves you only one hand to weld with. You can buy 2" x 4" Flat Copper Plates with Magnets that work well and leaves both hands free but just one costs around$23.00.

I made my own, maybe someone has already shared this in the past, from a 3" x 12" x 1/8" Solid Copper Plate and some Rare Earth Magnets that are very powerful.

I got the Copper remnant from eBay for $18.00 and the Magnets (10) from Harbor Freight for $2.99 plus Tax; add a few more dollars for Epoxy if you don't have any, I already had it on-hand.

As you can see in the photos, I cut the Plate into eight 1-1/2" x 3" pieces and inserted 2 magnets per Plate; this allows for multiple placement when welding a larger panel like a floor board; the Magnets are 5/16" in diameter. The best part is that it cost about 1/10th for all eight as compared to a single 2 x 4".

Hope this may be of help to someone else.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Welding made easier - Copper Backing Plates
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
Nice idea about the magnet inserts.  I used brass plates instead of copper, primarily because of the costs of pure copper; works the same.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
I thought about Brass but liked the flexibility of the Copper in case I need conform to a particular shape.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
Eastwood sells flat copper plates with magnets and a handheld curved set. I've used the flat plates for years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.