Author Topic: C Code PCV  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Building 3

C Code PCV
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
I have a question about the 1966 C-code PCV's. The MCA Rule 4.T. states: "64 1/2-66 all models with PCV, hex base design." I did a search on this forum and found out that the finish should be silver zinc.  So I know that it should have a hex base and a silver zinc finish. On my engine, the  PCV pushes into the valve cover grommet and also into the hose from the back of the carburetor. Where there any PCV's that screwed into either the valve cover or the carb? I have seen a few for sale and I was wondering if the screw-in could be correct or is the push-on correct? Obviously my question relates to Concours correct applications only and not aftermarket or service parts.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:32:26 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: PCV
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
I have a question about the 1966 C-code PCV's. The MCA Rule 4.T. states: "64 1/2-66 all models with PCV, hex base design." I did a search on this forum and found out that the finish should be silver zinc.  So I know that it should have a hex base and a silver zinc finish. On my engine, the  PCV pushes into the valve cover grommet and also into the hose from the back of the carburetor. Where there any PCV's that screwed into either the valve cover or the carb? I have seen a few for sale and I was wondering if the screw-in could be correct or is the push-on correct? Obviously my question relates to Concours correct applications only and not aftermarket or service parts.
Not all 66's had the hex base . Many had the round base too. Both were silver. Both had a nipple for the PCV hose. I am not up on 64 1/2 details but believe that the screw in type was a 64'1/2 style.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
+1 to bob's response. the 64 1/2 used a brass elbow for the valve to screw into. not sure exactly when this was phased out. guess ford realized the elbow was not needed & redesigned the valve for a hose fit not threaded.
5F09C331248

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
And another +1 to Bob's response. I'll even toot his horn a bit for him here as well, as he has a '66 variety for sale in this forum link: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11236.0

I was looking this number up in Bob Mannel's book over the weekend and wanted to re-verify what I had in our car, then checking it against what Mr. Gaines has for sale. The book references only two types for '66, both with round bases, both used with direct hose and wire clamp on top. Bob's looks to be the first example shown and ours is the second, which both versions are said to be correct, if I'm not mistaken. I would suppose this could be affected by build date during the year and which plant, but not certain.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
.......... I would suppose this could be affected by build date during the year and which plant, but not certain.

More likely a time sensitive change rather than assembly plant since engines arrived from the engine plant with the valve installed already as illustrated in factory pictures in this forum.  Assembly plant Section (Members Only)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
Thank you Jeff. That's good insight and I had completely forgotten about those photos for a resource.
Made me go back and re-think our current PCV and pay another visit to Bob Gaines eBay listings...! ;)
Needed to get his correct on our Fastback and I believe it will be now. Seems like my attention always returns to these little "peripherals" that are missing over time, PO change-outs, service replaced, etc.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »
I had some interest in Bob's correct assembly line version, I already have a couple NOS service replacements type (circa 1968/69, "black" Autolite C9OE-A versions) so opted out. Good to see that it went to a good home ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments