Author Topic: NOS Body Panel Production Dates  (Read 2518 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
NOS Body Panel Production Dates
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
I've seen here and there that, NOS Body Panels will have a Ford Label with production dates into the 80's and 90's. Were Panels stamped by Ford for that long a period of time, or did someone else stamp them using the original tooling for Ford, or am I misunderstanding the production date on the label, etc.?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: NOS Body Panel Production Dates
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Regarding the labels, here is an example of a shipping label. The ship date is 3/14/81. The panel itself is stamped "10 31 2" which I interpret as 10/31/1972. The shipping label in this case has nothing to do with the date the part was produced, other than providing a "latest possible" date if the part itself is not marked.

In this case the shipment was from the Melrose Park parts depot to a dealership in Wisconsin. The label carries no indication of who, when or where the panel was stamped.

Photos are from a pair of trunk floors I have for sale in the "For Sale" area.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:45:33 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
+1  You're confusing shipping with identification labeling

The shipping label is just that

From time to time Ford would roll out the old dies and press out some additional panels to try and meet what ever need was  expected (build the inventory nationally

As time passed the dies loose some of their crispness due to wear and at some point they stop making the panels.

In some cases in the past (don't believe this was done with Mustangs ever) the dies would get shipped to South America and the older dies would be used to make Fords down there (cars looked pretty much the same for a number of years) In some cases they would press out a stainless steel body for a show car or "keep sake" for the Ford museum. Of course this basically ruined dies from ever being used again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
Does the 2 in stamping stand for 1972 or 2nd shift?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:13 PM »
Does the 2 in stamping stand for 1972 or 2nd shift?

Shift - On original panels the year was not stamped in sheet metal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
That was simple...thanks.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline 1950fordcoupe

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
The date codes on the sheet metal parts are many times incorrect. I was a tooling engineer at a stamper that supplied Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Saturn, Dodge, Chevy, Lincoln, Honda, Mercedes, BMW, John Deere, Husqvarna and others. They all had their unique date codes or ID markings. Many times our guys would put the wrong number / letters in and they made parts. Parts might be missing a hole or have a burr and go to the rework area and depending on how much work they had could sit for months in the warehouse. They would put the hole in or grind the burr off and ship the parts. Then the fable of the date codes on all the panels being close to same time goes away. The date code would be months back but would go on with recent date code parts. You could even have a date code after the car was built if the die maker put the wrong stamps in.
On the service parts. Once a part went out of production you would grease up the tools and set them outside. Some would never get ran again. Parts in the front and rear of the car were always having to go in for service runs. It could be a 100 parts or an agreed minimum order. Lots of the automotive service parts were produced by Gerstenslager that was owned by Worthington at one time.
I had an order come in from Ford once for the inside back for the Model 10 or the standard cab for the Ranger. They were going to use the old parts to make a crew cab version for South America and needed parts for prototype. We had just ran a couple hundred and sent to Ford about a month before. I called the engineer and told him they had parts in service but he wanted raw steel parts no ecoat. So instead of going through all the trouble to pull the tooling in from the yard, clean and set up the tooling again I ordered the parts from Ford stripped them and sent them to Ford and they were happy. 
I saw a comment about running stainless in the tools would trash them. I do not know why it would. We were also the largest manufacturer of beer kegs in the U.S. and they are stainless and the tooling is usually bronze to prevent scratches in the food container. It does take more draw cushion pressure to draw stainless but it will not kill the dies.
Automotive volumes are pretty low by other products out there. We made lawn mower parts for a couple different plants and some made 5,000 riding mower units a day not a few hundred like automobiles. They would make 20,000 push mowers in a day. You could run millions of parts off tooling that was properly built. Not many cars ever made a million of a model in the life of the car. We had to warrant the dies to produce one million parts for the mower companies and then they would pay for a rebuild.
I worked my last year as engineering manager at a tool & die shop in China. Everyone thinks they work on dirt floors in dark holes. They have much better equipment and shops that I see in the U.S.. Sad to say but true. Now getting them to do what you ask them to do is another subject.
David

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:16 PM »
Thanks David for the input.  Always interesting to hear from folks that were actually 'there'. 

One item which you might be able to cast a little light on is quality control of assembly line parts vs. service replacement parts.  It's been mentioned in the past that quality control for assembly line parts was a bit higher than replacement parts.  Anything to mention about that?  I'm not necessarily referring to quality of parts made later.  But say you're supplying fenders for 1971 Mustangs during the model year run.  Most of the fenders will go to the assembly plant, but certainly Ford would want to start supplying replacement parts to Ford dealers.  Would there be any difference in what was supplied to the assembly plant or the dealers?

Certainly there would be quality issues when a later run was done, maybe Ford asks for 500 fenders in 1975.  Re-work the tooling, lines are not as crisp, edges a little different, etc...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin