Author Topic: Autolite Distributor Caps  (Read 5551 times)

Offline ClevelandKid

Re: Autolite Distributor Caps
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
J_Speegle wrote:

Originals had aluminum

I realize that and the repop caps do too. I was just trying to make a point that the caps with copper terminals are better than the originals and repop caps. I have the FD-129 caps on my 70 Mach 1 and My 70 Boss. They do look like originals and seem to perform better. I have an old OEM Autolite cap and it developed carbon tracking between  a couple of the terminals inside and was causing miss fires. I wire brushed the effected area and it cleared the miss fire problem up. No problems from the FD-129s so far. If one doesn't care about not having the Autolite script which you can't really see anyway, the Standard FD-129 is a great alternative.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
I realize that and the repop caps do too. I was just trying to make a point that the caps with copper terminals are better than the originals and repop caps. I have the FD-129 caps on my 70 Mach 1 and My 70 Boss. They do look like originals and seem to perform better. I have an old OEM Autolite cap and it developed carbon tracking between  a couple of the terminals inside and was causing miss fires. I wire brushed the effected area and it cleared the miss fire problem up. No problems from the FD-129s so far. If one doesn't care about not having the Autolite script which you can't really see anyway, the Standard FD-129 is a great alternative.
The FD-129 cap appears to be a great alternative if you don't care if you have a original looking part.It is more for price IMO because the copper over aluminum inside terminal point is irrelevant UNLESS you use your Mustang for daily transportation and plan on driving 10's of thousands of miles a year. The copper will still corrode if exposed to the same conditions as the aluminum just not as fast . It is not like you are going to experience added engine performance using one over the other except after 10's of thousands of miles.  Nice to have but over kill for the purpose the cars are typically used for today. Still no denying a great economical alternative.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:19:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 10w30dna

• Tim O'Connor Distributor Restoration
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
Are these Made in USA? Are they plastic or Bakelite? I have been able to find some old repo ones that are made in USA  ( same country as our Mustangs were built)with brass terminals and made from original type material ( Bakelite) . Under hood temps at the distributor area can be very high and plastic is not the optimum material.There are many considerations other than the lettering.
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Are these Made in USA? Are they plastic or Bakelite? I have been able to find some old repo ones that are made in USA  ( same country as our Mustangs were built)with brass terminals and made from original type material ( Bakelite) . Under hood temps at the distributor area can be very high and plastic is not the optimum material.There are many considerations other than the lettering.

These are made overseas. They are made using Phenolic resin,  same as Bakelite.   Bakelite was the company that invented it long ago and now they call it Phenolic.
It's exactly the same as the original material.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 03:29:50 AM »
These are made overseas. They are made using Phenolic resin,  same as Bakelite.   Bakelite was the company that invented it long ago and now they call it Phenolic.
It's exactly the same as the original material.
Don't want to to get too off topic from the Distributor Caps which look great, but hearing now the material is exactly the same as the original, is there any chance of getting the generator caps (that insulate the terminals from the heat shield) re-manufactured, it's one of those really hard to find items for the 64 1/2's, I've never come across any for sale in the last 4 years.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn