Author Topic: WARNING: 65/66 Reproduction Air Cleaner Thermostatic Snorkel not functional  (Read 861 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
I never saw any posts regarding this issue but I think its worth mentioning.  I bought a complete reproduction stock air cleaner (base, lid and snorkel) from one of the big box parts retailers for my 1965 Mustang Fastback.  I noticed that the flap that directs heated or cold air to the carburetor was stuck closed thus feeding the carburetor hot air all the time.  The temperature responsive element that makes the flap open and close was painted so I thought this was hampering operation.  I removed the part that opens and closes the flap and used some fine sand paper to clean off the paint.  Well I was very surprised to find that this part was non-functional!  What a rip off!  No mention that this is a non-functional unit in the part description!  You think that you are buying a functional unit only to find out it's a farce.  All the other parts in the snorkel are present and function properly.  On the allfordmustangs.com forums Ivy66GT has an excellent post regarding this part.  If interested here's the link to Ivy66GT's post:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/217734-intake-air-your-260-289-302-a.html

Below are a couple of pictures of the bogus reproduction part.  Notice that the smaller brass rod protruding from the part is actually part of a solid brass piece.  It should move in/out and act as a plunger as the part heats and cools.  I feel like I was mislead and ripped off!  This reproduction air cleaner assembly is well over $200!

If anybody has an original functioning part available, please let me know.  Thanks.

Mark

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C