Author Topic: Tailight wiring routing  (Read 2226 times)

Offline sparky65

Tailight wiring routing
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
I am having some trouble trying to figure out how the taillight wiring harness routes over the drivers side wheel wheel.  I see the wire holder and where it should snap in but I cant figure out which way it should be oriented.  Either way I place it it seems like its in the wrong spot.   I am starting to wonder if maybe it shouldn't be running against the quarter panel over top of the wheel well.  Also does the gas gauge wire run behind the trunk hinge?  How does the dome light rout up from here?  I ran it one way but it looks like it runs over a sharp edge in the structure behind the sail panel.  Looks like it could dig into the wire over time.  This is for a 67 coupe i think other body types would route differently.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Tailight wiring routing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
Most tail light wiring I've seen runs behind the hinge, but we probably need to look through some pics to verify for sure.  Seems like I remember seeing the routing in the assembly manuals too (but of course may not apply to the whole year of production or specific plant.)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
The rear wiring harness on a 67 coupe generally does go across the driverside rear wheel well. There is a plastic clip on the harness to hold it up over the inner most part of the wheel well and it mounts into a hole somewhere in front of the trunk hinge (I will try to get a pic of where it mounts tonight). More times than not, I have found the harness just draped across the top of the well house and not "clipped" in. Also there is a metal tab in the top of the driverside quarter panel for the harness before the tail light panel.

The fuel gauge wiring goes behind the hinge (in the open space of the trunk) and a clip holds it to the luggage guard. Also 2-3 pieces of gaffers tape holds this wiring to the wheel well/trunk floor.

The routing of the dome light is from the roof center support straight to the driverside roof rail. From there it goes to the B-pillar and drops down to plug into the rear wiring harness. There are a few metal clips to hold this wiring in place on its way to the rear harness. These clips keep the wire from rubbing on the sharp edges.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

The fuel gauge wiring goes behind the hinge (in the open space of the trunk) and a clip holds it to the luggage guard. Also 2-3 pieces of gaffers tape holds this wiring to the wheel well/trunk floor.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Pete,
Just getting back to this.  I just repaired the fuel gauge wire and want to finish routing it.  Looking through some of my pictures I see where there was one piece of tape very high on the trunk floor.  I thought it would route closer to the gas tank.  By "behind the hinge"  I understand towards the back of the car.  The tape location almost makes it look like it would have routed on the side closest to the back seat.

Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
Based on other cars I have seen, I believe the cloth tape in that area was used to hold the wiring up out of the way before the gas tank was installed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
Here are some examples (all unrestored 67 NJ coupes)- seems both ways but nor behind

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)