Author Topic: Convert a lead acid battery to dry cell - anyone done it?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Convert a lead acid battery to dry cell - anyone done it?
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
OK, my lead acid repro Autolite 24F battery just poofed.  It has been great for about a year, but today it is so dead that it won't even take a charge.  I am thinking about slicing off the top and inserting an Optima or similar dry cell instead of buying another battery.

Has anyone done this and can give me some tips?  Looks like a messy job.

Also, I see Scott Drake is now selling these.  Are they just Antique Auto Battery products being sold by SD or are they something different?  Appear to be about the same price (expensive).
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Re: Convert a lead acid battery to dry cell - anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:08 AM »
Yes, my battery is an Autolite that's been cleaned out and has a wheelchair battery inside.  Looks great and works great.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »
Also, I see Scott Drake is now selling these.  Are they just Antique Auto Battery products being sold by SD or are they something different?  Appear to be about the same price (expensive).
There are two batteries now on the market.  One is from Antique Auto Battery, which uses a small battery inside the case.

The other is a real AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery.  That is the battery that Drake carries, and the battery that we have also chosen to handle.  In my opinion, it is the better option.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/GROUP-24-AUTOLITE-BATTERY-MAINTENANCE-FREE-SEALED-STYLE-P1603.aspx

Offline ajd350

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:34 PM »
Done it. Instead of cutting off the top I cut out the bottom inside of the perimeter about 1/2 inch. The nasty part is removing the guts. Mostly I pulled it out with a pliers and cut and cracked the inner dividers. You can use a battery for a Miata or in my case I used a premium lawn tractor battery. Make up a couple of 4 gauge short cables for the inner battery. Drill and tap the original battery posts from the bottom and bolt the other ends on. Watch the polarity! When I set mine in the car, the outer battery is retained normally and the inner battery stays in place just fine. Totally invisible unless you remove the valve caps and look inside.
MCA #2254

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
So you just basically cut a "hole" in the bottom of the case, and now you can set the old case over the top of the small battery as it sits in the tray?  Didn't bother to seal it back up so they are really still two pieces?  If I understand you correctly, that is different and pretty clever.  Other than the pain of working on the top terminals from the bottom of the case  :-\
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »
Mine is cut at the edge about an inch below the top so you can lift the whole case and battery out of the car.  When you put the holddown bracket on it, it closes tightly so the cut can't be seen.  Plus, since my car has a/c, it has a heat shield, and that additionally covers the battery.  My first inside sealed battery lasted about eight years, which is more than twice as long as any repro Autolite battery I've had.  The heat here kills them.

I do have pictures I can post, if anyone is interested.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 04:19:02 PM »
yes...please post the pics. i have a dead one here i would like to convert. i remember seeing one done a few years ago. they had plastic welded the bottom back on. the case was completely empty and very light.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:21:31 PM by carlite65 »
5F09C331248

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
Here you go:

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »
thanks. i always wondered what they look like inside.
5F09C331248

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
One problem I ran into when I had to put a new battery in is that the bolts that go into the lead posts from underneath were loose after removing them.  So, I put helicoils in both posts and got a good, solid connection.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 05:53:30 PM »
good idea. you setup won't work for my 65 because of the style of battery hold down. i have nothing to squeeze down on the top.
5F09C331248

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Actually a friend who did this for me had a 66 Shelby and he was able to make it work on his car by using a internal spring system inside the box.  I don't know what it looked like, but it kept the top down and in place with no problems.

Offline Murf

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
I have done several of these, and maybe can help with a solution.  When you drill and tap the lead posts from the underside, use a stud with a jam nut to hold the stud tight, then use a second nut and shaker washer to hook the wire terminal from your smaller battery.  The stud always remains tight that way.  I glue the top back on the battery with construction cement and have used these in 65 - 66 with good luck.  You will be able to lift the battery in and out with a battery strap after the glue has dried.  Fred, will send you images and a material list  if you need or want them, but am unable to post here.  I use a gel cell battery the they have surprising power and last years and years if cared for.  I drive my cars, one has AC and they always start just fine with this mod
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
got the pics john....thanks a bunch!! probably will make that one of my winter projects.
5F09C331248

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
i tried to attach john's pics here....looks like it worked!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:50:07 PM by carlite65 »
5F09C331248