Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

67-70 AC-Heater Vacuum Pod Finish Discussion

<< < (2/4) > >>

krelboyne:
For the stubborn shafts we use a drop of Pure Oil of Wintergreen, not the extract.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: krelboyne on April 25, 2016, 12:27:07 PM ---For the stubborn shafts we use a drop of Pure Oil of Wintergreen, not the extract.

--- End quote ---

Good idea Scott, I will have to get some and try on similar stubborn, rusty items.

I thought the overnight "virgin" Evaporust soak would help (well, it sure made the wheel look great!) but I think also since I had smacked on the shaft with a brass punch & hammer that I peened it a little too...but I get things like this all the time in the car repair business...often without time to let things "soak" so I tend to go to the "Get-err dunn" thinking right away...which isn't always the BEST approach on our Classic or Antique vehicles.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 21, 2016, 07:51:30 PM ---Would play with the green spray Eastwood sold as part of the four pack of paints used to fake zinc dichromate. Use it to tint 66-67 smog pieces and 67-up ported vacuum switches/bodies

--- End quote ---

OK, I played a little with it (Eastwood sku# 10334Z, Zinc Dichromate Green Step #3, 12 oz)

Removed original finish on a <spare> vacuum actuator, right out of the can it comes out "too gold", experimented with a few base colr options & ended up with a black base (light mist at about a foot away), quickly misted with the Eastwood green dichromate and repeat. I took several pictures but the flash changes the actual results. Still looks good enough to me in this one I shared, most like what I am ACTUALLY seeing in person.(taken with natural back-light, no flash). Actual color somewhere between the "gold" highlights & the "green" darker areas.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on April 27, 2016, 01:17:10 PM ---OK, I played a little with it (Eastwood sku# 10334Z, Zinc Dichromate Green Step #3, 12 oz)

Removed original finish on a <spare> vacuum actuator, right out of the can it comes out "too gold",...........

--- End quote ---

If used straight by itself its just green in my experiences.

It should be noted that since this post is in the 69-70 section those cans are typically blue - still a tint rather than a painted looking finish

We seem to have deviated just a little from the original focus ;)

kammertime:
What type of fasteners were used in the engine compartment to secure the heater box to the firewall ? I have 2 heater boxes, one has the PAL speed nuts and the other has regular screw on flanged nuts. Dearborn, Feb-March, 1969.

Thanks,
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version