Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Autopsy And Anatomy Of A Fuel Sender -

<< < (2/4) > >>

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 27, 2017, 12:15:28 AM ---If the metal tongue is wore out or there is a break inside the windings somewhere it is simpler to graft in replacement guts from a donor sender to save the original assemblyline one IMO.

--- End quote ---
As I said, it's all steel, so grafting requires welding, probably braising. The "replacement" guts would be best obtained from a new unit. Then you are still faced with the mounting disc's finish no matter what. For this one, with a worn out wiper contact (it is copper or brass), soldering a new copper contact to the worn out one is intriguing. I'll have to visit one of the surplus electronics warehouses (it is Silicon Valley) and see what's available.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on June 27, 2017, 01:39:14 AM ---As I said, it's all steel, so grafting requires welding, probably braising. The "replacement" guts would be best obtained from a new unit. Then you are still faced with the mounting disc's finish no matter what. For this one, with a worn out wiper contact (it is copper or brass), soldering a new copper contact to the worn out one is intriguing. I'll have to visit one of the surplus electronics warehouses (it is Silicon Valley) and see what's available.
Jim

--- End quote ---
Just in case you misunderstood I was not talking about trying to repair the contact tonque or the windings  . Although they could be repaired in some fashion, the time and possibly the expense would exceed the much more simple task (relatively speaking ) of transferring the guts of another sender (new or used ) over to the old sender to keep the outward appearance of a assemblyline C4,C6,67 etc. sender. This certainly wouldn't be cost effective on a car where concern about assemblyline originality was not as much of a  concern.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 27, 2017, 04:02:18 PM ---Just in case you misunderstood I was not talking about trying to repair the contact tonque or the windings  . Although they could be repaired in some fashion, the time and possibly the expense would exceed the much more simple task (relatively speaking ) of transferring the guts of another sender (new or used ) over to the old sender to keep the outward appearance of a assemblyline C4,C6,67 etc. sender. This certainly wouldn't be cost effective on a car where concern about assemblyline originality was not as much of a  concern.

--- End quote ---
In order to do what you suggest, you would have to destroy the "donor" and the "patient" units. All the component pieces are spot welded together. The fuel outlet tube is flared for a rubber extension and will not slide thru the mounting disc. The tube appears to have a sealing ring as well. The tube inside has brackets and the resistor housing bracket welded to it.
A closer look at the wire wound resistor shows two wires wrapped around a tapered form terminated at the ground end. The wires' gauge appears to be 36AWG, that 0.005 inch. Have you ever worked with wires that small? I have, even smaller. (Look up "Litz Wire", 7/44ga.)
For this particular fuel sender, with it's wiper contact worn out, finding a suitable replacement contact is about all the can be done, or needed. Other failed senders will have to be considered on an individual basis.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on June 27, 2017, 04:46:47 PM ---In order to do what you suggest, you would have to destroy the "donor" and the "patient" units. All the component pieces are spot welded together. The fuel outlet tube is flared for a rubber extension and will not slide thru the mounting disc. The tube appears to have a sealing ring as well. The tube inside has brackets and the resistor housing bracket welded to it.
A closer look at the wire wound resistor shows two wires wrapped around a tapered form terminated at the ground end. The wires' gauge appears to be 36AWG, that 0.005 inch. Have you ever worked with wires that small? I have, even smaller. (Look up "Litz Wire", 7/44ga.)
For this particular fuel sender, with it's wiper contact worn out, finding a suitable replacement contact is about all the can be done, or needed. Other failed senders will have to be considered on an individual basis.
Jim

--- End quote ---
Jim,no need to get combative because I will gladly explain what works best for me.  Maybe you haven't done a transplant but I have on numerous occasions with success.  If I couldn't get the the sender working by removing corrosion /varnish from the contact or if the wire was broke internally then I did the trans plant.  I said before that the wire or contact could be repaired in some fashion . For me it is easier and faster to do the transplant. Of course you destroy the donor. That is why it is a donor. That is also why as I mentioned it is not cost effective unless you are trying to save a otherwise nice original sender because of the engineering number. I have done it two ways you can ether break it loose from the spot welds and re tack weld or solder the rheostat back in place or what I have found much easier is to cut the tube of the donor sender and the contact ribbon coming from the terminal on the tank side and splice the tube and ribbon to the sender you are trying to save. You have to do your measuring on cuts etc. so as to get close to the same orientation as the old sender once you are done but that is the basic description.  It takes two to make one good one and only makes sense in my case when I have a nice un pitted C4 etc. sender to save for concours use. Just what has worked for me.

KevinK:
Have you looked into the suppliers who refurbish these? Or do they not work on them?

I know on the mid 80s ones before the repro came out, the wire wrapper resistor,  was a cerimic board which could be swapped out and was common to other models.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version