Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Steering Gearbox Ball Bearings

<< < (2/4) > >>

CharlesTurner:
Any of the mustang parts places sell a steering box rebuild kit which comes with the ball bearings, needle bearings and seals.  I've used the kit maybe 5-10 times with no issues.

NOS bearings can be found, but will be a bit of work to hunt down and will end up being about 3-4X the cost of the repro parts.

WGM:
http://www.precisionballs.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=0.230+chrome+steel&x=0&y=0
Bought chrome steel balls from here.Got enough for two boxes and sent the extras to Dan (Chock).Box has not been installed as of yet. Search VMF.You will find more info.
WGM

Bob Gaines:
Back when rebuild kits were not so easily sourced parts maybe 25 ,30 years ago we had to improvise. The bearings you could find but the ball bearings were harder to find. We would take all of the balls out ,clean and after inspecting the ball bearings for cracks abrasions etc. put all the good ones back.  Any damaged balls were replaced using a donor box for parts. We would typically have to add balls to the total count to compensate for wear and tighten clearances up. 

67350#1242:

--- Quote ---http://www.precisionballs.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=0.230+chrome+steel&x=0&y=0
Bought chrome steel balls from here.Got enough for two boxes and sent the extras to Dan (Chock).Box has not been installed as of yet. Search VMF.You will find more info.
WGM
--- End quote ---

I see the sizes are all slightly over 0.230".   It would make sense to use slightly oversize to tighten slightly worn box, but how much oversize without binding?    Do you have any recollection of exact size you used, and if you noted any binding, etc.?  I also presume chrome steel means the chrome is added to the steel and not plated.
Thanks for the info and link,
Kurt.

WGM:

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on November 02, 2017, 02:51:56 PM ---I see the sizes are all slightly over 0.230".   It would make sense to use slightly oversize to tighten slightly worn box, but how much oversize without binding?    Do you have any recollection of exact size you used, and if you noted any binding, etc.?  I also presume chrome steel means the chrome is added to the steel and not plated.
Thanks for the info and link,
Kurt.

--- End quote ---
I asked Dan the same question. His reply was as close to .230 as possible. Didn't discuss oversize to account for wear.
Not chrome plated as you presumed.No binding.Nice guy. Wouldn't be afraid to call him for guidance.
WGM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version