Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

358352-S - J-Clip -

<< < (8/8)

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 196667Bob on November 22, 2017, 03:12:29 PM ---The clip pictured above, in my Reply # 32, is from National Parts Depot. It is actually noted for a 1957 Thunderbird ; entering the Part Number (358350-S) in their "Search" in the Thunderbird Catalog will bring it up (of course now, if you go to their Site, it shows "Out of Stock" at all of their locations  guess I cleaned them out).

As far as the "bubble" on the coating, it's not just a "bubble", but many small "bubbles" (zoom in to see them). Over the years, I have seen them do this not only on Mustangs, but on my '57's and '59's also. I truly believe that the "bubbling" effect is caused from engine heat acting upon an "ultrathin" layer of rubber coating. Obviously not hot enough to affect thicker rubber components, but enough to affect the thin layer on clips.

Bob

--- End quote ---
I tend to disagree. The two similar clips I removed from behind the instrument cluster of the 66 Thunderbird this weekend, were bubbled and never exposed to any extreme heat. Perhaps only a manufacturing "acceptable" defect as Jim suggests.

196667Bob:
OK, I'll agree. An acceptable manufacturing defect is a possibility, and maybe more prevalent, also (is there an emoticon for foot in mouth ?).

I guess whatever the source, the "bubbles" will show a thicker coating than a smooth coating.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version