Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

To Dip or not to Dip

(1/2) > >>

nham3407:
My body person has recommended that I hot tank my 72 Mach 1 body prior to beginning the replacement of the bad sheetmetal.  I have the car stripped to that degree so it is not a question of tear down.  I have inquired with other folks who have stated that hot tanking a body is good to get rid off all remnants of any corrosion, but they have heard occurences where all of the stripping material is not neutralized around spot welds and in small cavities and later comes back to start eating away the paint and any material applied onto the body.  My body person stated his recommended location uses 3 neutralizing baths after dipping.  Does anyone have experience with hot tanking the unibody (pro's or con's)?  My body person also has a contact who can EDP dip the car after the sheet metal work is done to avoid any possible future corrosion.  Would the EDP coating affect me in concourse driven judging if I still plan to apply primer over the EDP to match my factory primer and overspray?

J_Speegle:
Have no experience with EDP sorry

As for dipping I did a car years ago that was dipped and I would not do it again (but of course our cars don't typically have the rust issues others do) Dipping meant that we had to redo all the factory seam sealers (some panels were sealed between the panels and this could never be replaced) and all the original sound deadener. Though the chemicals MAY have changed the stuff that was used on that car continued to leach

Just one opinion as always

MyRed66GT:
My buddy has had two cars dipped and e-coated before paint. His paint guy swears by this method. I agree about the fact that all seam sealer will also be affected by this method. The 66 coupe he had done looks absolutely gorgeous. The car started out as an Arizona car. The body guy said hes never seen such a rustfree car in his life. Dipping and e-coating ran about $3000.

Aussiemach:
A quick reply.
I had mine dipped here: http://www.minuspaint.com.au/
Agree with Jeff that I would not dip a car that had minimal rust. The dipping process will remove paint, rust, sealer, everything, except it won't hurt rubber and glass but those items were out anyway.
As the dipping removes paint you loose all the factory markings so identify and record those first.

I am updating photo's on my restoration so hope to add to this topic tonight.
Andrew

nham3407:
Thank you to each of you for the feedback.  I do wish my car was from a part of the country that did not have the corrosion issues I am dealing with, but that just is not my luck.  My car was sold in Ogden, UT and ended up in Wisconsin when I bought it as a kid.  It will not be 100% numbers matching as I lost the original engine when my folks sold their house.  Everything else is matching #'s and I have a period correct November 71 complete engine to install in my 01/03/72 production date car.

If anyone else can add their two cents worth on the body dipping idea I would greatly appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version