Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Undercarriage overspray

(1/1)

dbm350:
   I am working on a 1966 mid-April San Jose car.  Need to know about the body color overspray on the undercarriage. The body color is black, so I assume the pinch weld black-out is not needed. Does the overspray cover the outward side of the front floor supports? Some pictures would be great if possible.
                                                          Thanks, Doug

dbm350:
    Anybody out there?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: dbm350 on September 20, 2010, 12:21:01 AM ---   I am working on a 1966 mid-April San Jose car.  Need to know about the body color overspray on the undercarriage. The body color is black, so I assume the pinch weld black-out is not needed.
--- End quote ---

Would not surprise me to see an original with a blacked out pinch weld but at this time would not deduct for the lack of one at a show

--- Quote from: dbm350 on September 20, 2010, 12:21:01 AM --- Does the overspray cover the outward side of the front floor supports? Some pictures would be great if possible.     

--- End quote ---

The amount and extent of the overspray depended on the height and age (didn't want to bend over as much ;) of the painter assigned to the task, but since there were only a small handful of workers that normally completed this task we can use original examples to get an idea of what was typical at that time at San Jose

Yes it was typical to see some - to a fair amount of body color on the out side surface of the front frame rails from approx the firewall rearward

Here are some examples - Hope they help. Some additional to demonstrate the extent of the typical body color overspray (though hard to see red exterior on a red oxide colored floor) and pinch weld overspray

dbm350:
    Thanks Jeff. I was not sure how much overspray to apply. This helps. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version