Author Topic: Front disc brake backing plates - painted black originally or bare steel?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline RoyceP

My R code Cougar (all were built at Dearborn in '68) is getting restored piece by piece. Now I am working on the front suspension and the spindles obviously had no paint originally, but the disc brake sheet metal backing plates appear to have been black. Is this a glossy black or a semi gloss? It is a thin coat of whatever it was. I've seen these restored as if they were bare metal originally too. What's right?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
They were painted semi-gloss black. More on the shinny side IMHO originally.

Believe there was some though that they might have been dipped
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

Thanks Jeff!
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
My R code Cougar (all were built at Dearborn in '68) is getting restored piece by piece. Now I am working on the front suspension and the spindles obviously had no paint originally, but the disc brake sheet metal backing plates appear to have been black. Is this a glossy black or a semi gloss? It is a thin coat of whatever it was. I've seen these restored as if they were bare metal originally too. What's right?
I have observed some of the early 68 production Metuchen cars to have bare steel front disc brake backing plates. It was a early vs later evolution in that case with most being the semigloss black as Jeff noted. Just wanted to let you know why you saw some restored bare steel. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I have observed some of the early 68 production Metuchen cars to have bare steel front disc brake backing plates. It was a early vs later evolution in that case with most being the semigloss black as Jeff noted. Just wanted to let you know why you saw some restored bare steel.

Just to clarify your not suggesting that bare steel (unfinished) were used on cars built at other plants during 68 like Dearborn or San Jose.   
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Just to clarify your not suggesting that bare steel (unfinished) were used on cars built at other plants during 68 like Dearborn or San Jose.
I have only observed Metuchen that way as stated . Just wanted to let OP know why he saw some restored bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Front disc brake backing plates - painted black originally or bare steel?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
I was cleaning up and noticed I have a set of 68 3 bolt dust shields with no vents. They were with other 68 disc brake parts.

I see other shields with vents. Was 68 the only year for these non-vented shields?

edit -- year not years.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:58:16 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front disc brake backing plates - painted black originally or bare steel?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
I see other shields with vents. Was 68 the only years for these non-vented shields?

Yes there were others but they are not interchangeable since they used different calipers
Jeff Speegle