Author Topic: Pedal Box Bushing Removal ?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Boss980

Pedal Box Bushing Removal ?
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
How does this bushing come out of the pedal box ?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:40:25 AM by carlite65 »

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Pedal Box Bushing Removal ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
It is crimped in...so destruction is your only option.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
The automatic pedal assembly is the same, but would the bushing would not be used so you can use another support or install a roller bearing as some people do

Offline Boss980

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
OK so after old bushings are removed I see these bushings are round so I assume I'm to take a Dremel tool to take out the flat spot in the pedal box so these round bushings can fit into the bushing hole?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »
OK so after old bushings are removed I see these bushings are round so I assume I'm to take a Dremel tool to take out the flat spot in the pedal box so these round bushings can fit into the bushing hole?
Yes ,you can take out the worn bushing with the dremel and there is nothing wrong with that if you are mainly concerned about the function and not concerned about a factory look. If you are concerned about original look then it is not the way to solve the problem. Ether solution previously describe can be a viable alternative it just depends on your expectations. It is all about the choices you make.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Boss980

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »
I was meaning using the Dremel tool after the bushings were removed as after removing the bushing you have a round hole with a "notch" or "Flat" area. That where I'm asking about using a Dremel tool to round out the hole to accept these new round bushings. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
I was meaning using the Dremel tool after the bushings were removed as after removing the bushing you have a round hole with a "notch" or "Flat" area. That where I'm asking about using a Dremel tool to round out the hole to accept these new round bushings.
Yes you have to modify the hole as you surmise.That is the premise of reply #4 . Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
Guess your having to replace the metal bushing out of years of use and that someone neglected to catch the problem before it got this far :(  For many its a fairly quick and easy replacement of the nylon bushings (inside the metal ones) that is all that is needed but yes have seen some really nasty (way too late for minor fixes) ones where its hard to imagine that the owner didn't feel or see what was taking place
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)