Author Topic: Wood steering wheel protection  (Read 786 times)

Offline StretchMonster

Wood steering wheel protection
« on: November 24, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
Good morning,

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a vintage wood steering wheel.  I was curious about the best way to protect the wood to keep it from cracking in either the cold of winter, or the heat of the summer.  I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions on products, methods, etc.

Thank you,

Paul

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Wood steering wheel protection
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »
Good morning,

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a vintage wood steering wheel.  I was curious about the best way to protect the wood to keep it from cracking in either the cold of winter, or the heat of the summer.  I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions on products, methods, etc.

Thank you,

Paul
A wood steering wheel did not come factory on regular Mustangs.  66 Mustangs used simulated wood wheel for instance. I mention this just to make sure you are talking about wood and not the simulated (plastic). The 65 and the 67 Shelby came from the factory with a wood wheel . There are a number of wood preserving products on the market . Gun stock oil is one product for example people use to keep real wood steering wheels from drying out. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

Re: Wood steering wheel protection
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
Gun stock oil is one product for example people use to keep real wood steering wheels from drying out.
True. Do not use furniture wax, furniture polish, almost any wood stain and other "oily" substances.
For "preservation", I wear soft leather gloves on both wood and plastic wheels. Sweat is an enemy too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.