Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 Engine mounts correct finish and paint dabs (San Jose Car)  (Read 1377 times)

Offline bullitt68

I recently purchased this book to use as a reference for finishes, but it is fairly generic as it does not take into account the discrepancies between the 3 plants. So my question is what should the correct finishes be for all if the 4 parts for each side as per attached photos. 2 mounts goes on the block and then there are 2 pieces that make up the frame mount. My mounts had yellow paint marking on one side and white on the other, but the books says the marks should be yellow on one side and green on the other, so I just want to confirm what would be correct. Also there are no part numbers or date codes or any other stamps on these parts other than a "R" stamped on the right side. Are these correct mounts or should they be stamped with logo and date codes etc.

Any photos would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:03:57 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 GT 390 Engine mounts correct finish and paint dabs (San Jose Car)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
Here are the mounts showing the original paint & markings
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
I recently purchased this book to use as a reference for finishes, but it is fairly generic as it does not take into account the discrepancies between the 3 plants. So my question is what should the correct finishes be for all if the 4 parts for each side as per attached photos. 2 mounts goes on the block and then there are 2 pieces that make up the frame mount. My mounts had yellow paint marking on one side and white on the other, but the books says the marks should be yellow on one side and green on the other, so I just want to confirm what would be correct. Also there are no part numbers or date codes or any other stamps on these parts other than a "R" stamped on the right side. Are these correct mounts or should they be stamped with logo and date codes etc.

Thanks
Those look like the the correct mount parts. They are not typically stamped with logo and date codes etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »

Thanks
I am not familiar with the book but it does have various discrepancies . Just don't follow unless you verify each detail to be sure.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
I am not familiar with the book but it does have various discrepancies . Just don't follow unless you verify each detail to be sure.

Thanks Bob the book was recommended to me, but I am not sure how helpful it will be to me other than as a general guide, which won't do me much good as I need exact & specific details. That is why I made the post hoping to get confirmations on the finishes and not have to rely on the book. The book is pretty vague at best and also does not indicate finishes clearly as per my example from the page showing the motor mount finishes.
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
FYI I put my steel parts in a tumbler with appropriate media. Where you are now is the first step because it doesn't look like fresh run steel like it could look with a run in the tumbler IMO.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
FYI I put my steel parts in a tumbler with appropriate media. Where you are now is the first step because it doesn't look like fresh run steel like it could look with a run in the tumbler IMO.

Yes I plan to run most of parts through the tumbler after the vapour blast as I find it gives the most natural finish, more so than traditional media blasting. I am approaching all of the parts on an individual basis to try to get the most accurate finish.

So do all the engine mount parts I posted stay bare metal?

Mounts to block?
Mounts to frame?
I think that the centre mount is bare metal
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
Where your frame brackets are welded, you could also "blue" the welds again after tumbling with a brazing/welding tip on your torch.

Your center mount should be a rubber-like substance, not bare. I believe all else (top and bottom plates) are all bare steel.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:04:43 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
Where your frame brackets are welded, you could also "blue" the welds again after tumbling with a brazing/welding tip on your torch.

Your center mount should be a rubber-like substance, not bare. I believe all else (top and bottom plates) are all bare steel.

Great thanks. The centre mount was like that when I took it off the car. Someone obviously painted every single part on the car so I have no reference of what was actually not painted. Yes I plan to do some bluing on all of the welds on all oaf the bare steel parts once I confirm all of the parts that are to be bare steel that is. SO far I am planning to blue the drive shaft, power ram for sure on the welds and or seems. I may also blue the air rods and centerlink
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
Great thanks. The centre mount was like that when I took it off the car. Someone obviously painted every single part on the car so I have no reference of what was actually not painted. Yes I plan to do some bluing on all of the welds on all oaf the bare steel parts once I confirm all of the parts that are to be bare steel that is. SO far I am planning to blue the drive shaft, power ram for sure on the welds and or seems. I may also blue the air rods and centerlink
The motor mounts were typically blacked out with a very thin rubber material. Almost paint like.  Most just use semigloss paint . The ears of the motor mount (were motor mount bolt goes ) were typically bare steel.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 06:46:43 PM »
The motor mounts were typically blacked out with a very thin rubber material. Almost paint like.  Most just use semigloss paint . The ears of the motor mount (were motor mount bolt goes ) were typically bare steel.

Ok I think I can figure that out. So what about the mount on the engine block and the mounts on the frame. I was going by that book and had planned to leave them all bare metal
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »
Ok I think I can figure that out. So what about the mount on the engine block and the mounts on the frame. I was going by that book and had planned to leave them all bare metal
Brackets are bare steel.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
Brackets are bare steel.

Ok got it. So the mounts on the motor and frame are brackets and the centre pieces are the mounts? All bare steel
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
Ok got it. So the mounts on the motor and frame are brackets and the centre pieces are the mounts? All bare steel
The rubber motor mounts are as discussed in #9 . The chassis/frame brackets /mounts  and engine block brackets are the bare steel.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »
The rubber motor mounts are as discussed in #9 . The chassis brackets /mounts  and engine block brackets are the bare steel.

Perfect that is what I thought. Thanks. So the motor mounts are obviously installed after the motor is painted
Mike