Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Shifter, Fastener Finishes Zinc, Phosphate or Natural  (Read 1632 times)

Offline bullitt68

I would like to know the right finishes to use on some fasteners that I am not sure of. I purchased this book to use as a guide. While it is somewhat helpful it is also vague, so I am hoping that someone can help me out with the correct finishes on some fasteners.

Is anyone familiar with this book and has anyone used it and or is it a good reference to use.

I have been trying to find some reference photos to get the finishes right, but no such luck. The book calls for 3 main finishes. Zinc, Phosphate & Natural. If using natural what should I use to prevent rusting. FYI i have either media blasted, vapour blasted, or wire wheeled the fasteners and other small parts already.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:47:46 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Fastener Finishes Zinc vs Phosphate
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:15 AM »
These fasteners are for the power steering control valve. Looking to confirm the finish. Zinc? or are some zinc and some phosphate?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:26:43 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 03:14:04 AM »
These fasteners belong to the steering box. Looking to confirm the finish. Zinc? or are some zinc and some phosphate?
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 03:15:52 AM »
These fasteners belong to the Transmission. Looking to confirm the finish
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:22:47 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Fastener Finishes Zinc or Phosphate
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »
These fasteners belong to the shifter linkage. Looking to confirm the finish
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:22:34 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 03:22:17 AM »
These fasteners belong to the steering box. Looking to confirm the finish.
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Are all these parts the same finish or a mix of Zinc, Phosphate & Natural
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Jim put together a very helpful article that is available to you in the library section of this forum.
Most of the questions you have on finishes of the hardware, are answered in that particular article.

Perhaps if you phrased your questions along the lines of: "I see the finish on ______ bolt (or nut) is stated tp be Phosphate & Oil, how dark (or light ) are other examples typically found to be?"

I'm about to go through most of my Hardware also. I plan to print off a copy of the hardware sheet for a 67 and select the items that are correct for my car from the list. I then plan to go back and make a copy of the program if possible, leaving out the items that do not belong to my car.
Afterwards, in the new program file that I have created, I plan to upload photographs of my original bolts. I am no computer genius by any means so this could be quiet daunting for me. I am hoping that other people may chime in and say how they have done the process of documenting their original bolts against the list. I really haven't seen anybody talk about that yet, only people talking about using the list found in the library.

I only basically understand the Excel program so for me this will be a learning lesson as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:58:23 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bullitt68

Jim put together a very helpful article that is available to you in the library section of this forum.
Most of the questions you have on finishes of the hardware, are answered in that particular article.

Perhaps if you phrased your questions along the lines of: "I see the finish on ______ bolt (or nut) is stated tp be Phosphate & Oil, how dark (or light ) are other examples typically found to be?"

I'm about to go through most of my Hardware also. I plan to print off a copy of the hardware sheet for a 67 and select the items that are correct for my car from the list. I then plan to go back and make a copy of the program if possible, leaving out the items that do not belong to my car.
Afterwards, in the new program file that I have created, I plan to upload photographs of my original bolts. I am no computer genius by any means so this could be quiet daunting for me. I am hoping that other people may chime in and say how they have done the process of documenting their original bolts against the list. I really haven't seen anybody talk about that yet, only people talking about using the list found in the library.

I only basically understand the Excel program so for me this will be a learning lesson as well.

Are you referring to the spreadsheet for AMK fasteners or is it something else. I did find the shortlist, but I am not sure what to cross reference it with unless you are referring to  the Ozbourne manuals.
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

Are you referring to the spreadsheet for AMK fasteners or is it something else. I did find the shortlist, but I am not sure what to cross reference it with unless you are referring to  the Ozbourne manuals.

Yes, Jim could likely explain things a bit better than I can. Using the Osborn Manuals and his spreadsheet and arranging your original collection of bolts if they were kept sorted in perhaps baggies when taken apart...A person could sort and catalogue very nut, bolt and washer. Then, a person could have each different 'finishes' grouped together to send batches out for plating as needed, or to plate each item in groups. Chef's Choice I imagine. In any event, the two sources should get you in the high 90% of a full understanding is what bolt or fastener is what type of finish, leaving only a few random questions that you may not have found any answer(s) for.

Hope this helps, that is my plan at this time...others who do these things every day probably have buckets of "ready" parts on hand to rotate around as needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bullitt68

Yes, Jim could likely explain things a bit better than I can. Using the Osborn Manuals and his spreadsheet and arranging your original collection of bolts if they were kept sorted in perhaps baggies when taken apart...A person could sort and catalogue very nut, bolt and washer. Then, a person could have each different 'finishes' grouped together to send batches out for plating as needed, or to plate each item in groups. Chef's Choice I imagine. In any event, the two sources should get you in the high 90% of a full understanding is what bolt or fastener is what type of finish, leaving only a few random questions that you may not have found any answer(s) for.

Hope this helps, that is my plan at this time...others who do these things every day probably have buckets of "ready" parts on hand to rotate around as needed.

Thanks Richard. I did organize all my fasteners in baggies and labeled them as well. I just wasn't sure where I could reference the short list code as I didn't see anything else in the library. I will check the manuals. FYI I do the phosphating myself but send the zinc out to be done and I meads blast myself as well. What do you do if it says natural finish, how do you clean the part, or do you use any sort of finish
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

Natural finish is usually soaked in Evapo-Rust or Rust 911 and if no pitting, into a tumbler with ceramic triangular pointy media. If pitting is seen, I'll sand through the pitting and polish first to mirror-like, then media tumble it. All get soaked with a rust preventative afterwards.
It really depends on the item but I have a few ways in general along these lines. I try and avoid any sort of media-blasting if possible. I have done some soda-blasting but it kinda sucks, don't do to much for help.
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

There's an accompanying write up with notes and abbreviations:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11425.0
Every entry should have a source referenced.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

Natural finish is usually soaked in Evapo-Rust or Rust 911 and if no pitting, into a tumbler with ceramic triangular pointy media. If pitting is seen, I'll sand through the pitting and polish first to mirror-like, then media tumble it. All get soaked with a rust preventative afterwards.
It really depends on the item but I have a few ways in general along these lines. I try and avoid any sort of media-blasting if possible. I have done some soda-blasting but it kinda sucks, don't do to much for help.

Thanks Richard. I have a tumbler as well. I use the media blasting for parts getting painted and parts to be zinc plated or phosphated if they are in rough shape. I have found vapour blasting to work really well for parts that are to remain natural finish and I have several rust prevention methods that I use on natural parts. The tumbler works well I find to dull down zinc or vapour blasted parts if a less shiny finish id desired. Other methods we use are Evapo-Rust as well as electrolysis which are great for certain parts as well. Unfortunately almost every nut and bolt and part on my car was painted black at some point and rust has not been an issue. So for the fasteners I chose media blasting to remove the paint. The plan is to tumble all of the zinc parts to remove the bright look
Mike

Offline bullitt68

There's an accompanying write up with notes and abbreviations:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11425.0
Every entry should have a source referenced.
Jim

Thanks Jim
Mike