Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Shifter, Fastener Finishes Zinc, Phosphate or Natural  (Read 1631 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Just be careful if blasting parts/hardware that you don't add texture to the surface as that will show through in the final product considering the thin plating coating that will be but on. 

Think we're all choosing to "better" the finish of the bright zinc finishes we get today to something slightly duller to reproduce the original look. I've been using the fairly short vinegar rinse lately in addition to using it to remove the dicrhomate if I do just a single batch of everything

Often try to get access to an additional parts car when doing plating that way I hopefully have two of everything, at least that is the plan. So I can choose the best for the car and have backups or inventory for other projects or needs.

Sure miss the old days where instead of cleaning bolts and nuts dad would just load up coffee cans full of them and take them to the platter. A couple of days they would return all the same finish, clean (no old paint or oily) and ready to use on what ever we were working on.  And for $5-$10  for everything ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

The plater I use now offers "dull zinc" as well as clear (shiny), black (expensive) and gold zinc finishes. The dull replicates cadmium plating. Dull zinc came on the market about two years ago.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

There's an accompanying write up with notes and abbreviations:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11425.0
Every entry should have a source referenced.
Jim

Hi Jim I looked through Chassis and Body manuals today regarding correct fastener finishes and have come across a few codes that are not referenced on your list. Specifically S9 & S39 that is referenced for several fasteners. Also S100 with no explanation that could see relating to a specific color code mentioned on your list
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
............Also S100 with no explanation that could see relating to a specific color code mentioned on your list

Believe S100 = safety related items (workers were suppose to pay special attention to, and these were the ones we find that were dyed red as being discussed in another thread currently and in the past
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

Believe S100 = safety related items (workers were suppose to pay special attention to, and these were the ones we find that were dyed red as being discussed in another thread currently and in the past

Thanks Jeff what about S9 & S39
Mike

Offline jwc66k

Finishes -S9 is "Zinc Plate - Bright; -S39 is "Cadimum Plate - Soft Silver".
I recommend you get the "AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners 1955-73" for a more comprehensive description of finishes as well as a description of most of the hardware items used on Mustangs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

Finishes -S9 is "Zinc Plate - Bright; -S39 is "Cadimum Plate - Soft Silver".
I recommend you get the "AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners 1955-73" for a more comprehensive description of finishes as well as a description of most of the hardware items used on Mustangs.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Now that I have the assembly manuals I can cross reference with the AMK spread sheet
Mike