Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) June 5, 1968 4 speed Correct Radiator Confirmation  (Read 970 times)

Offline bullitt68

I have searched for a post that may help me ID my radiator or point me in the right direction to find the correct radiator for my car. I went to see my local radiator expert who advised me that I have an original OEM radiator, even though there are no markings on the tank or side mount brackets that I could find. I also asked about the automatic transmission lines and he said that Ford made the tanks that way and they used the same tanks for automatic's and standards and plugged the fittings on manual cars. I am sceptical that he has the right information so I am looking for a definitive confirmation here before I spend any money on this rad. It was working fine, but I had it dismantled based on the info I was given with the intension of rebuilding it. I have also been told that finding a correct 390 4 speed radiator is a tall order. I always just assumed that the top of the tank would have a FoMoCo stamp and that the side brackets would have a part number stamped on them.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
I think this thread answers most of your questions:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8872.msg51747#msg51747

San Jose cars normally do not have an ID stamp on the side brackets.
They feature W MO on the top tank along with a date (on my 67 SJ car, anyhow).
They may also feature a tag soldered to the tank bracket on top with parts code.

The bottom tank on the production radiators is split into auto OR manual. The manual tank has indentations for where an auto cooler would be, but no hole is present. And, it is not a filled hole.

[edit] Also:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11124.msg66523#msg66523
and look for the SJ examples
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:47:03 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bullitt68

I think this thread answers most of your questions:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8872.msg51747#msg51747

San Jose cars normally do not have an ID stamp on the side brackets.
They feature W MO on the top tank along with a date (on my 67 SJ car, anyhow).
They may also feature a tag soldered to the tank bracket on top with parts code.

The bottom tank on the production radiators is split into auto OR manual. The manual tank has indentations for where an auto cooler would be, but no hole is present. And, it is not a filled hole.

Thanks Bill so it sounds like what you are saying is that my rad was not an original one or correct one for my car, possibly a replacement unit. I view the thread you shared, but none of those rads are like the one I have. Also should I assume that an original top tank would have the FoMoCo stamp even if there are no part numbers stamped on the side. Also did all tanks have date codes. I was not able to confirm the information from links you posted.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:53:49 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I have searched for a post that may help me ID my radiator or point me in the right direction to find the correct radiator for my car. I went to see my local radiator expert who advised me that I have an original OEM radiator, even though there are no markings on the tank or side mount brackets that I could find. I also asked about the automatic transmission lines and he said that Ford made the tanks that way and they used the same tanks for automatic's and standards and plugged the fittings on manual cars. I am sceptical that he has the right information so I am looking for a definitive confirmation here before I spend any money on this rad. It was working fine, but I had it dismantled based on the info I was given with the intension of rebuilding it. I have also been told that finding a correct 390 4 speed radiator is a tall order. I always just assumed that the top of the tank would have a FoMoCo stamp and that the side brackets would have a part number stamped on them.

Thanks
Your radiator guy may still be good and a expert compared to most but he is lacking in some pertinent vintage Ford knowledge.  The early aftermarket tanks looked the same as the typical Ford version but did not have a Ford trademark. A factory radiator in your case should have a Ford trademark .  After market and also Ford service bottom tanks were typically of the automatic style and simply had plugs installed for a manual application. This one type fits all was so as to keep fewer types to stock. SJ radiators had a tag soldered on the top of the tank typically on the driver side. The Dearborn or Metuchen plants used radiators that had the engineering number metal stamped into the side strap.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
I added another link to my previous post in which Jeff offers some good closeups of the SJ W-MO radiators:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11124.msg66711#msg66711
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bullitt68

I added another link to my previous post in which Jeff offers some good closeups of the SJ W-MO radiators:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11124.msg66711#msg66711

Thanks Bill
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
To focus more on the specific large big block style radiator for San Jose here are a few pictures of one example - without the soldered on ID tag :(

68-1 Date Jan 1968
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

To focus more on the specific large big block style radiator for San Jose here are a few pictures of one example - without the soldered on ID tag :(

68-1 Date Jan 1968

Thanks Jeff that is great. I wonder how hard it would be to come by a correct tank. I have not been able to locate one as of yet. Would it be safe to assume that they are hard to find
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Your radiator guy may still be good and a expert compared to most but he is lacking in some pertinent vintage Ford knowledge.  The early aftermarket tanks looked the same as the typical Ford version but did not have a Ford trademark. A factory radiator in your case should have a Ford trademark .  After market and also Ford service bottom tanks were typically of the automatic style and simply had plugs installed for a manual application. This one type fits all was so as to keep fewer types to stock. SJ radiators had a tag soldered on the top of the tank typically on the driver side. The Dearborn or Metuchen plants used radiators that had the engineering number metal stamped into the side strap.

Thanks Bob that is great information
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Thanks Jeff that is great. I wonder how hard it would be to come by a correct tank. I have not been able to locate one as of yet. Would it be safe to assume that they are hard to find
Not Jeff but I would remind you so that you could widen your net that the 68 top tank is going to be the same for big block or small block (extra cooling radiator in the case of the small block).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) June 5, 1968 4 speed Correct Radiator Confirmation
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 01:47:08 AM »
Not Jeff but I would remind you so that you could widen your net that the 68 top tank is going to be the same for big block or small block (extra cooling radiator in the case of the small block).

Thanks Bob. That is great news. FYI I saw a post a few minutes ago for a small block rad for sale, but I cant find it now. It looked like a big block rad and had WMO stamped on it. I was hoping that it might be a rad I could use. I sent a PM so hopefully I hear back
Mike