Author Topic: Carter X Fuel Pump  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Snydly289

Carter X Fuel Pump
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
Here is a Carter X fuel pump that I have come across. The numbers stamped on the fuel pump are 6268S and 27D1A.

Can anyone shed some light as to what this fuel pump would have been to or come on? My research has come up with nothing sadly. The arm is for an FE big block, it’s slightly shorter and thicker than my oem 289 fuel pump I have.

Riley
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline RoyceP

Re: Carter X Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
Looks like a typical aftermarket Carter high volume pump from the 1960's - early 1970's for 221 / 260 / 289 / 302. The FE pump arm is a little different, yours looks right for small block Ford to me. Your date code is 1971.

Here's the FE version for comparison:
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
Looks like a typical aftermarket Carter high volume pump from the 1960's - early 1970's for 221 / 260 / 289 / 302. The FE pump arm is a little different, yours looks right for small block Ford to me. Your date code is 1971.

+1 . The OP's picture is of a smallbock version . The non typical aspect of the pump is the "X" . The X is what the assemblyline units would typically have . The flange number would indicate the application for the specific pump. The after market units now or in the past do not typically have that X. Service replacements or rebuilts sometimes come with a X however. Aftermarket and some service fuelpumps have a screw in fuel inlet fitting. Assemblyline versions have a pressed in fuel inlet. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »

My mistake, thanks for the pic. I noticed that the arm on mine was very slightly different than an oem 289 pump I have, that's what made me think it was for an FE. I don't have an FE fuel pump on hand to compare.

+1 . The OP's picture is of a smallbock version . The non typical aspect of the pump is the "X" . The X is what the assemblyline units would typically have . The flange number would indicate the application for the specific pump. The after market units now or in the past do not typically have that X. Service replacements or rebuilts sometimes come with a X however. Aftermarket and some service fuelpumps have a screw in fuel inlet fitting. Assemblyline versions have a pressed in fuel inlet. 
Bob, thanks for the info. I attained this fuel pump from a Ford dealership mechanic. The fuel inlet on mine is threaded, as well as the outlet. I did notice the on both of the brass fittings, the markers mark is clearly stamped. The marks match the marks on my original 65 289 HiPo dual exhaust brake hose, as shown in the pic.

Any idea as to what the part number decodes to? for the life of me I can't find 6268S on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:15:27 PM by Snydly289 »
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
Here are additional photos, I am having a hard time uploading 2 or more photos at once. Maybe the files are to large.
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »
This is the mark on my 65 HiPo dual exhaust rear brake hose fitting. Matches the fittings on the fuel pump
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Here are additional photos, I am having a hard time uploading 2 or more photos at once. Maybe the files are to large.
I wouldn't waste your time trying to show the fittings because they are not factory. Those fittings are auto part store or hardware store replacements. FYI Weatherhead was the the main fitting MFG for the ones Ford used .With that said Weatherhead also supplied autoparts and hardware stores
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 11:10:00 PM »
I wouldn't waste your time trying to show the fittings because they are not factory. Those fittings are auto part store or hardware store replacements. FYI Weatherhead was the the main fitting MFG for the ones Ford used .With that said Weatherhead also supplied autoparts and hardware stores

That I did not know! I just remembered seeing the same logo on the brake hose, so I thought I would add that in. I appreciate the responses, too bad there isn't a master list of Carter fuel pump casting numbers on the internet. I'm trying to figure out if this fuel pump is worth having rebuilt and keeping or just selling it.
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
These pumps used to be rebuilt endlessly by auto part stores and their suppliers. For this reason we often see pump bodies that didn't start out in life as what they are today. All the parts can be swapped to fit other arms, lower pump housings, check valve sections, etc. You have to identify the pump using the current configuration. To make a pump correct for a restoration is a different subject. Yours is an aftermarket universal fit small block high performance Ford pump now, in the way that it exists today. The numbers stamped on the side may or may not match the current configuration.

That I did not know! I just remembered seeing the same logo on the brake hose, so I thought I would add that in. I appreciate the responses, too bad there isn't a master list of Carter fuel pump casting numbers on the internet. I'm trying to figure out if this fuel pump is worth having rebuilt and keeping or just selling it.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:02 PM »
Any idea as to what the part number decodes to? for the life of me I can't find 6268S on the internet.

There are allot of different applications (passenger cars, trunks, industrial, marine ...) it could be for originally the 6000's series of numbering appears to show up on units with 1973 and 74 applications. Guess you already checked all of the numbers in the final 1975 version or the 72 version of the MPC that are available on the web and mentioned in other threads.  Don't know a document that is available that covers the non-passenger vehicle applications available for free on the web. 

The "step" in the main housing suggests its not an early version and as Royce offered it could be a Frankenstein rebuilt unit made up from different donors.

A few others have have had similar (unidentified stamping identifiers) challenges and asked about them in the past. Sorry it appears we can't help with this one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »
These pumps used to be rebuilt endlessly by auto part stores and their suppliers. For this reason we often see pump bodies that didn't start out in life as what they are today. All the parts can be swapped to fit other arms, lower pump housings, check valve sections, etc. You have to identify the pump using the current configuration. To make a pump correct for a restoration is a different subject. Yours is an aftermarket universal fit small block high performance Ford pump now, in the way that it exists today. The numbers stamped on the side may or may not match the current configuration.

Thanks Royce for the info. It makes sense that over the many years, the things that can be removed and replaced very well were altered from their original configuration.

There are allot of different applications (passenger cars, trunks, industrial, marine ...) it could be for originally the 6000's series of numbering appears to show up on units with 1973 and 74 applications. Guess you already checked all of the numbers in the final 1975 version or the 72 version of the MPC that are available on the web and mentioned in other threads.  Don't know a document that is available that covers the non-passenger vehicle applications available for free on the web. 

The "step" in the main housing suggests its not an early version and as Royce offered it could be a Frankenstein rebuilt unit made up from different donors.

A few others have have had similar (unidentified stamping identifiers) challenges and asked about them in the past. Sorry it appears we can't help with this one
Jeff, I always appreciate your explanations and insight. And I did check with the MPC's, no luck. It's all good, I appreciate everyone's info and responses. Helps alleviate the frustration of trying to identify parts, especially when you have a whole garage full of various parts, as well as your grandfathers garage, and fathers garage.....haha
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback