Author Topic: 67 Courtesy Lights Under Dash, on fastback, seeking photos  (Read 2406 times)

Offline gimpystoy

67 Courtesy Lights Under Dash, on fastback, seeking photos
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
I've explored the thread on this topic.

Since my Marti report shows my  67 Metuchen C code shows the courtesy light option I went digging through my tote of takeoff parts and found the harness and 1 bracket !

Anyone have pictures of the lights installed. I see the repop market  has the brackets   Were brackets mounted with just a small sheet metal screw.
Y,
Gimpy
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Courtesy Lights Under Dash, on fastback, seeking photos
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:33:08 PM »
Your answers are to be found in the 67 electrical assembly manual including the correct mounting hardware.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:24:44 AM »
Could not find any good close ups showing hardware to confirm what was used at NJ in May.

Had to settle (not many people taking pictures of the bottom of the dash) for a few San Jose 67 examples hoping they will help

Drivers side

Passenger side

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »
Your answers are to be found in the 67 electrical assembly manual including the correct mounting hardware.
Yeah, when "doubt", use the Mustang Assembly Manuals.  :o
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:41:02 AM »
Yeah, when "doubt", use the Mustang Assembly Manuals.  :o
Jim

Except when they don't represent what the factory did  ::)  LOL Cross referencing with other sources when available.

Maybe one day we'll have to start a new thread for each year listing mistakes, running changes from and other details about the assembly manuals so everyone can mark up their pages.  Plenty on our plates at the moment
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:43:28 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:08:56 AM »
Here you go...
Not to be forgotten, I have a SJ car...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Online 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
Jeff I am curious what are the assembly plant differences, location, hardware?

I have noted different hardware used on many different things on the car but IMHO many times the plant worked just grabbed a different piece of hardware that would work to get the job done. Perhaps they were out of the correct hardware and would not leave their job undone for a correct screw.  ;)

I certainly also understand not all the assembly plants followed the assembly manuals but that is where my searches start.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
I am curious what are the assembly plant differences, location, hardware?
I have noted different hardware used on many different things on the car but IMHO many times the plant worked just grabbed a different piece of hardware that would work to get the job done. Perhaps they were out of the correct hardware and would not leave their job undone for a correct screw.
A true observation. I found a sheet metal screw used on the left hand side of my Oct 18, 65 build, San Jose GT Fastback. I replaced it with the "correct" hardware, screw and nut. Soon after that, I was looking at the bulbs used for courtesy lights on my Oct 15, 65 build San Jose Hardtop and found the same sheet metal screw (with a slightly rusty finish) used. I replaced the screw on the Fastback.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 04:43:37 PM »
Jeff I am curious what are the assembly plant differences, location, hardware?

I don't have enough collected on this specific detail to be able to share. Very very few people take pictures of the area, often if they do the lights are on since the door is open and that makes seeing detail very difficult. Have more SJ examples but cars like NJ cars especially can be more difficult to collect data on

I have noted different hardware used on many different things on the car but IMHO many times the plant worked just grabbed a different piece of hardware that would work to get the job done. Perhaps they were out of the correct hardware and would not leave their job undone for a correct screw.  ;)

Would offer what has been told to me by the workers. Its not like there were allot of different choices of hardware at each station so there was not often the choice of using something else. Now the worker in charge of supplying the containers holding the hardware to each station could have messed up but of course this would show up in 100- 1000 or more cars with this difference. Something we could find, chart and determine. Often IMHO different hardware comes from prior owners or work done on cars. Thing we have all done this if you've been in the car hobby long and way before we cared about head markings and such

I certainly also understand not all the assembly plants followed the assembly manuals but that is where my searches start.
[/quote]

Agreed a good place to start but as we've discussed before each page of the manuals came from a different point during the production year. Pages from different manuals were often used to replace others that were hard to read or illustrations damaged from mold and water damage over the years.  Also each page was created to correct something that was on that page the day before that was incorrect or something that was changed. Reason sometimes identified in the revision. And for all we know the page we have copies of was replaced a day, week or month later due to another change or mistake that was discovered.

One thing we see on almost every year is an illustration of the front wheel well (for example) with instructions to apply sound deadener to the front wheel well and the illustration showing the coverage from panel edge to panel edge.  No where like what was done at any plant and we've seen cars at shows where people have done just that. Masked off the area and applied it to all edges

Its great when the details in the assembly manuals match and agree with what we find on original cars.

Back to the focus and question.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Here you go...
Not to be forgotten, I have a SJ car...

Thanks for the pictures. Gave me another date for the spread sheet :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
Regarding hardware for installation of the under dash lamps (all 63 and 76 body examples and optional for 65 body examples), the assembly manual suggests using existing hardware on non AC cars (glove box door, right-most bolt) and to use 374121-S2 for the LH side of both AC and non-AC examples. The AC cars (w/factory Select-Aire) for the RH Courtesy lamp, all used the shorter lamp bracket, the same as the left side uses. AC cars are mentioned in the AC installation instructions of the 67 Electrical Assembly Manual (page 89 E7-8655-8, lh lower corner) to use the same screw 374121-S2 that is also used on the left hand Courtesy light.
It might also be noticed that NO DETAILS are given for this particular bolt in the Library Spreadsheets as to dimensions of this bolt mentioned in the Electrical Manual.

Another note, not all installations of the RH Courtesy lamp, non AC cars, used the recommended glove box bolt (existing hardware) as Jeroen's example shows but instead, mounted into another hole to the right if the glove box hinge.

One other note, unrelated to the Courtesy lamp, some glove box hinges attached using a nickel-sized flat washer and some do not.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
Another note, not all installations of the RH Courtesy lamp, non AC cars, used the recommended glove box bolt (existing hardware) as Jeroen's example shows but instead, mounted into another hole to the right if the glove box hinge.

One other note, unrelated to the Courtesy lamp, some glove box hinges attached using a nickel-sized flat washer and some do not.

Keeping notes as to production period and plant to see if that forms a pattern?   Guessing so.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »
AC cars are mentioned in the AC installation instructions of the 67 Electrical Assembly Manual (page 89 E7-8655-8, lh lower corner) to use the same screw 374121-S2 that is also used on the left hand Courtesy light.
It might also be noticed that NO DETAILS are given for this particular bolt in the Library Spreadsheets as to dimensions of this bolt mentioned in the Electrical Manual.
Let me add to your frustrations, no information is provided in either the 60-68 or 75 editions of Ford Car Parts (aka - MPC) about this screw, or a specific attachment for 67 or 68 Mustangs in the electrical illustrations or the part number sections (they show 65-66 hardware only). There is no data anywhere that I can find about 374121-S2.
In every instance where a question is raised about a piece of hardware used on a Mustang, I do more research. In this particular instance, the only nearby 67 Mustang I have access to is a GT-500, and Brad won't let me near it.
All I can say is look at the 68 Electrical Manual that specifies 55927-S36 8-18 X 1/2 Pan Head screw for attachment to the dash. See if that's what you have.
Jim

Offline tgilliam

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
High-jacking this thread from something I observed in the pictures. In the first picture Jeff S. posted, when I look closely, it appears the air vent bracket is on top of the E-Brake bracket where the two phillips head screws go through into the dash. In the picture of Driver's side that Fastback2013 posted it appears the E-Brake bracket is on top of the air vent bracket. Is this a case of one not being original or was it a somewhat usual anomaly to assembly line practice?
Thanks for your time.

Tom Gilliam
tom.gilliam@logan-aluminum.com