Author Topic: Shipping/Transporting - Sealed beam headlights  (Read 1007 times)

Offline ruppstang

Shipping/Transporting - Sealed beam headlights
« on: August 21, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »
I purchased a pair of original Ford sealed beam headlights from a person who lives around DC. I decided not to have him ship them for fear that the filaments would be broken from the rough handling. Instead I plan to pick them up at the upcoming MCA grand national. We will be flying there and back. My question is would there be a problem with a sealed beam in my carry on. I do not know if there is enough pressure difference in the cabin to worry about.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:19:04 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Seald beam headlights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
I purchased a pair of original Ford sealed beam headlights from a person who lives around DC. I decided not to have him ship them for fear that the filaments would be broken from the rough handling. Instead I plan to pick them up at the upcoming MCA grand national. We will be flying there and back. My question is would there be a problem with a sealed beam in my carry on. I do not know if there is enough pressure difference in the cabin to worry about.
There shouldn't be ,but with that said I will be surprised if they let it through the security checkpoint. A headlight bulb is a unusual thing to see in someones carry on baggage. It is somewhat arbitrary and many times it depends on the security checkpoint personal. You can make a argument for just about anything being used as a weapon. If they are unsure they will always default to denying the item through the checkpoint. Keep in mind what with long security lines etc. at busy major airports I believe the personal will be less flexible IMO.If you take the chance and the item/s are denied then your options are very limited at that point. Bags would typically already be checked, typically no provision to ship a item at a checkpoint that is denied and flight time logistics. The only thing the checkpoint typically offers is a trash can to dump the pocket knife , tool , or empty water bottle. I would plan to take it back in checked baggage if no one is available to carry it back for you in a car/truck closer to your home base that you can retrieve it later. But that is just me .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

Re: Sealed beam headlights
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
I purchased a pair of original Ford sealed beam headlights from a person who lives around DC. I decided not to have him ship them for fear that the filaments would be broken from the rough handling.
Over the years, I've shipped four sets of Ford logo lamps without a problem. I use bubble wrap to protect the them. As Bob implied, TSA is not going to be friendly.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bgp429

Re: Sealed beam headlights
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:20 PM »
The filaments are quite durable. Being solidly mounted to a vibrating, bouncing body they have to be.  I have also shipped lamps with no issues. Shipping always has some risk but lots of bubble wrap worked for me.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Shipping/Transporting - Sealed beam headlights
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
Marty, I would test the bulbs before taking possession if you can. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are not taking a risk on old bulbs every time you light them . Sometimes they are good and the next time they will smoke up inside.I will not ship bulbs commercially without the person receiving understanding that they are taking the risk if they do not light up on their end because of how fragile they are and the high failure rate. If they don't want them under those conditions then it is not worth the aggravation for me to sell them . I typically take a picture of the bulbs lighted before packing to show and email the buyer that they are tested prior to shipping. A big/over size box with plenty of bubble wrap around the bulb with no space for movement inside the box is the only way to go when shipping commercially is the only alternative in my experience.  I test all of my bulbs before I put them on the shelf so I know what I can reasonably count on later. With that said even sitting on the shelf undisturbed over a couple years it is annoying but not a unusual fact that some of the same tested bulbs will smoke up while testing again before shipping   I have shipped and received probably close to a hundred commercially . I typically try to transport them by car myself when buying because they are so fragile after all these years. That of course isn't always feasible. I typically only buy them remotely without transporting myself where the seller guarantees that they will work upon shipment arrival because of the high failure rate.   If I buy a dozen and test them before going home after a few hundred mile drive even well padded I typically end up with at least one or two smokers . Even with heavy padding I don't trust the USPS . UPS is my preferred choice with FedEx second. Just my perspective for the discussion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

Re: Shipping/Transporting - Sealed beam headlights
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have decided to try to find someone who will be driving back westward after the show that is willing to transport them for me.

Bob you are right about how they can work then smoke on the next try. I was at a show and got informed after dark there was a storm approaching, I went out to move the car to the trailer and turned on the lights only to smoke one bulb.