Author Topic: Small block power steering hose strap to shock tower - 67 All Plants  (Read 2227 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Small block power steering hose strap to shock tower - 67 All Plants
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
I finally took a few minutes and read through this new "split thread" and I think it tracks straight for the most important  aspects known to date.....

Richard Thanks for the summation up to this point in the research. Though we need more examples especially during some of the gaps we're moving forward.

Found the findings of the 68 lower second strap interesting but we'll follow the 67 part of that puzzle on the other thread. As for the upper strap just wish these details were easier to see in pictures on cars with the engine installed and especially AC since that really is reducing the numbers for me. But we'll work with what we find.

Thanks again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Shawn

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
I believe this strap material was the same used for the rear license plate shield just below the rear bumper.  An original can be cut into strips to make an OE strap

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 02:06:47 AM »
I believe this strap material was the same used for the rear license plate shield just below the rear bumper.  An original can be cut into strips to make an OE strap

I would respectfully disagree at least if your comparing the upper PS hose straps discussed in this thread.

The originals of both items you mention and I have here are pretty different in make up, thickness and final look. The light shield is a single layer with random reinforcement threads while the PS straps have multiple layers and are three to four times thinker as well as having a nylon reinforcement cloth sheets in one or more layers. Similar to plys in a nylon ply tires used during the 50s and 60's . Much like what we find for holding up the heater hoses in the engine compartment on some 65-66 applications

Some examples suggest that the PS straps were made from recycled tire side walls. some with even the white wall visible or with a white exterior layer like we find on muffler and exhaust hangers. Some have ribs in the last outer layer that are orientated on an angle to how they were cut

Picture showing the relative thickness, layers or lack of multiple layers and other close up details.

You can also compare the pictures earlier in the thread with the uniform nylon visible

Some more 68 upper examples

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11041.msg39709#msg39709

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:15:10 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »
I believe the technical name for the p/s rubber strap is "cloth inserted sheet".
Here is an example of how it's listed in technical descriptions of the product:
RUBBER SHEET .125" THICK X 48" WIDE X ROLL NEOPRENE BLACK COLOR WITH 2 PLY FABRIC INSERTION
Tires are built with various products inserted into the rubber in plys, so this is the usual way we think of this product.
But you can order this in simple rubber sheets.

The license plate rubber is actually called "masticated rubber". Rather than plys this product is cutup sections of thread (or other product) mixed into the rubber.
Think of threads in a blender mixed with rubber.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion