Author Topic: Trunk latch plating  (Read 2274 times)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Trunk latch plating
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Can the trunk latch be re-plated without disassembly? or like the door latches, is there a spring inside that would get compromised in the plating process.

Thanks,
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Trunk latch plating
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
If it's anything like a 68 latch, you don't want to replate it. I believe it is galvanized steel. I would recommend finding a nice original or cleaning your original.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
Can the trunk latch be re-plated without disassembly? or like the door latches, is there a spring inside that would get compromised in the plating process.

Thanks,
Greg
yes . And yes. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, I thought the latch was zinc plated (64.5). Can anyone confirm if the 1st Generation latches were galvanized or not.

Bob, I don't understand your answer, are you saying "YES", I can replate the latch (unless it is galvanized) without disassembling AND "YES" it will compromise the spring mechanism?

Thanks,
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
The 2 main body pieces were galvanized.  The striker mechanism was usually plated zinc dichromate and the rivets were clear zinc.  Yes, you will compromise the spring if you plate the unit as an assembly.  I've always been able to find decent originals when needed.  Or, Ford did service them, so there are NOS pieces out there.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, I thought the latch was zinc plated (64.5). Can anyone confirm if the 1st Generation latches were galvanized or not.

Bob, I don't understand your answer, are you saying "YES", I can replate the latch (unless it is galvanized) without disassembling AND "YES" it will compromise the spring mechanism?

Thanks,
Greg
To elaborate- "Yes " you can replate it ether galvanize plating (like original) with limited results or zinc silver with limited results and "Yes" it will comprimise the spring. It will increase the chances of the spring breaking inside the latch. Not near as bad as the thin spring in the door latch mechanism but it could happen.  I hope this is clearer. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby