Author Topic: SPI plans on making red oxide epoxy primer  (Read 8337 times)

Offline Rusty428cj

• Gillis Restorations
SPI plans on making red oxide epoxy primer
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
I have been using SPI www.southernpolyurethanes.com products in my shop since 2004. I have convinced Barry the owner there is a market for red oxide primer so I need your help. Barry wants to make the correct shade and needs to know what is a good match to what Ford used.
Rusty Gillis

former NHRA SS/FA & SS/GA National Record Holder

www.gillisrestorations.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: SPI plans on making red oxide epoxy primer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »
There really isn't any "correct" shade of red-oxide primer.  Ford probably used 100 different variants for 64.5-73, not to mention other colors.  We normally recommend that areas of a car be cleaned and primers color-matched for the most authentic restoration.  It wouldn't be unusual to find several color or shades of primers used throughout one car.

For those that just want a generic, cookie-cutter type of primer, most use something like PPG DP74LF.  They may tint it slightly, but it's usually decent out of the can.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »
Agree with Charles - there is no one "correct" tone or tin. On the car where the floor is done in the red oxide epoxy the front frame rail can be a different tone.   Have at least a hundred samples cut from original floors and few match one another.

Sorry the answer is not an easy or even possible one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty428cj

• Gillis Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »
Thank you I forwarded your response and Barry will have product available within 60 days. He is wondering if he should package in quarts or gallons which would give you 1/2 gallon or 2 gallons sprayable with activator. 
Rusty Gillis

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
I would recommend quarts and when marketing such a product, I'd suggest you add a disclaimer that it is not necessarily an exact match, just a generic substitute.

What kind of price point will this primer be?  The PPG DP-LF epoxy line has gotten quite pricey these days (for those that can still buy it.)

Offline Rusty428cj

• Gillis Restorations
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Price will be the same as his other epoxy products around $29.00 a quart and $29.00 for a quart of activator.
Rusty Gillis

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
So, about $180/spray-able gallon, assuming 2:1 mix with catalyst.

Offline craig429

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
Is PPG DP74LF generally a little too red?
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »

Not really, but as mentioned, there is no "correct" shade of red-oxide.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »

I think (just my experiences) that it normally needs some help out of the can to match but surely (would not surprise me) that one of the variations out there may be close.   I've got one formula we came up with in the early 90's (paint shop played with it for a month or so) where we added between six and eight different other colors and "helpers" to come up with a match to a early Feb San Jose floor sample
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:16:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty428cj

• Gillis Restorations
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:26 PM »
So, about $180/spray-able gallon, assuming 2:1 mix with catalyst.

When using SPI epoxy the mix is 1:1 and his gallon kits are around $145.00 which is 2 gallons sprayable.
Rusty Gillis

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
When using SPI epoxy the mix is 1:1 and his gallon kits are around $145.00 which is 2 gallons sprayable.

That would make it a cheaper alternative to DP-LF, assuming it is a comparable product.  Last time I bought a gallon of DP, it was around $200 + another $100 or so for the catalyst.

Offline stillboardin

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
I personally can't wait for SPI to start selling the Red Oxide epoxy.  I have been using their black epoxy for the last 6 months and absolutely love how it sprays.  It is definitely not as touchy as PPG epoxy.  I can tell you once you start using SPI products you will not go back.
Customer service is the best in the business.  How often can you call with a technical question and talk to the owner to get the answer.  Happens every day at SPI.
For about $100 you can have a sprayable gallon of paint (paint and catalyst) that will, in my opinion, be better than any other epoxy on the market.
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981
Currently in various stages of restoration

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
I personally can't wait for SPI to start selling the Red Oxide epoxy.  I have been using their black epoxy for the last 6 months and absolutely love how it sprays.  It is definitely not as touchy as PPG epoxy.  I can tell you once you start using SPI products you will not go back.
Customer service is the best in the business.  How often can you call with a technical question and talk to the owner to get the answer.  Happens every day at SPI.
For about $100 you can have a sprayable gallon of paint (paint and catalyst) that will, in my opinion, be better than any other epoxy on the market.
The only problem I see is that when you are not using a total paint system from the metal up the mfg will not warrenty the paint job for mfg defects. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
the RM Red Epoxy is really close to the nos ford parts, however the red does very.  SPI stuff is ok, its middle of the road like montana, rubber seal etc, it would be great if barry could make some tintable epoxy