Author Topic: 1967 Fastback Fold down seat questions  (Read 574 times)

Offline Z67Fback

1967 Fastback Fold down seat questions
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
1: On the latch for the swinging door to the trunk - Is the finish supposed to be natrual metal finish? Phosphate? Not sure if my latch is OEM or repop
2: On the other side of the latch on the fixed section of the floor- What is the finish supposed to be? Mine is painted black
3:Lastly on the chrome 'pockets' on the fixed section that hold the bumpers for the folding section are two different type of screws utilized? I have one machine screw and one sheet metal screw. The machine screw screwed in to spring clip. Kind of an interesting setup with the spring clip on the underside.

Thank You
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:01:47 PM by Z67Fback »
1967 Fastback, C Code, 4 Sp MT, 7T02C226959 Build Date 4/11/67. Built in Metuchen, NJ

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Fastback Fold down seat questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »

1: On the latch for the swinging door to the trunk - Is the finish supposed to be natrual metal finish? Phosphate? Not sure if my latch is OEM or repop

2: On the other side of the latch on the fixed section of the floor- What is the finish supposed to be? Mine is painted black

One of a number of examples from the unrestored 1967 picture threads in another section of the site. Finishes and even hardware for these two items appear to be much the same from plant to plant though we have not dug deeply into that subject

Finish appears to be a silver cad (have not tested it) though many use zinc and dull it down if the batch comes out to clear and shiny. Both latch main body and striker plate 

3:Lastly on the chrome 'pockets' on the fixed section that hold the bumpers for the folding section are two different type of screws utilized? I have one machine screw and one sheet metal screw. The machine screw screwed in to spring clip. Kind of an interesting setup with the spring clip on the underside.

Think there are three screws that make up the assembly. One to hold the trim visible plate or pocket on top of the carpeted section, one for the front edge of the plate or clip on the bottom. Both are  installed to the carpet section before installing it into the car.

While a different machine screw is used once the section is in place. Example of the pocket and the poorly  ::) adjusted bumper, is shown below with the rear last screw threads visible. Along with another view of a trap door striker plate

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »

To add to Jeff's reply, the lower fixed piece is what I would call the striker (45746), the latch (45704) is affixed to the door.  Both appear to be correct OEM parts based on what I've seen.  I agree with a silver color on the plating - not black, not chrome.  Also the hardware all looks correct to me.

That is also correct, two types of mounting screws - for the two that are visible. 54505 & 54511
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:40:59 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Z67Fback

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:25:02 PM »
Thank you both for your knowledge and your sharing. So much appreciated!
1967 Fastback, C Code, 4 Sp MT, 7T02C226959 Build Date 4/11/67. Built in Metuchen, NJ