Author Topic: Best reproduction Autolite battery  (Read 7227 times)

Offline c9zx

Best reproduction Autolite battery
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
I'm looking for your input on best appearing and reliable reproduction battery for 1972 351C Mach 1 as well as suggested sources for the battery. I've read good and bad about various batteries and vendors. Thanks for the input.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline dan green

Re: Best reproduction Autolite battery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
Scott Drake is now making the optima style no leak batteries.  I just ordered one through www.calclassiccars.com.  He has a listing on ebay.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
Scott Drake does not manufacturer these batteries. 

There are two manufacturers of the Autolite Batteries:  Antique Auto Battery (some smaller battery inside of the case) and Axion Power Manufacturing (a real AGM Battery).  Axion Power is the old New Castle Battery Co.

We handle the same one that Scott Drake handles-the Axion Power.  This is, in my opinion, the best choice.

Here is our description from our site:

These Autolite script batteries are made using the original case and cover molds. They are authentic reproductions of the original Autolite Sta-Ful Batteries, but they are now maintenance free AGM. No more acid mess. These batteries utilize the latest AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology and never require adding acid or water filling. They come fully charged and ready for installation. The electrolyte is trapped in the separators so the battery cannot leak, even if the case is broken.

These are new reproductions and are nicer than the others available in that they are not generic batteries inside a case.  As mentioned above, they are full true AGM batteries.  They are also made in the USA.

These will now be in stock at our store rather than drop shipping them (depending on manufacturer supplies, of course), but there should be no problems supplying them.

The batteries carry a 90 day free replacement warranty, and a 4 year pro-rated warranty that begins at the end of the 90 days.

Crank Amps @ 32 degrees F = 690
Cold Crank Amps @ 0 degrees F = 550
Length 10 3/4 inches
Width  6 3/4 inches

Here is the link:  http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/GROUP-24-AUTOLITE-BATTERY-MAINTENANCE-FREE-SEALED-STYLE-P1603.aspx

Offline craig429

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
I bought a Virginia Classic Mustang battery and it looks good and works good.  I have only had it since June for my unrestored 67 Coupe and haven't had any issues with it.  I still got about half the points in the unrestored class. I lost points because it is a reproduction but it at least looks correct and works and doesn't leak like originals did.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen