Author Topic: Inspection Stickers for 68 GT Restoration  (Read 2271 times)

Offline fisherman74017

Inspection Stickers for 68 GT Restoration
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
I need some help.  I am restoring a 1968 GT back to original and I need a source / pictures for the inspection stickers that would have gone on the Coougar.  It was manufactured in San Jose CA and rolled off the line on 1/1/1968.

Thank you!!
Charlie Brown
1967 Cougar XR7 289
1968 Cougar GT
1967 Cougar Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Inspection Stickers for 68 GT Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support useful in your concours related endeavors. I invite you to explore and read allot of other threads. You will find allot of information and other details that may help you. Also, since you have a 68 Cougar, you will likely enjoy seeing the assembly line pictures the site purchased a number of years back. Look for them in the San Jose assembly plant section under the main The Assembly Line section. There are a number of them all have titles starting with 68 San Jose - xxxxxxxxx

If your thinking about the small square paper stickers San Jose didn't typically use this practice.  San Jose only marked the car after inspections for paint  in 68. Other inspections were verified/recorded on forms other than one we find on 68's on the hood latch support which sometimes appears to have been done by a paint inspector. Some paper and others applied to windows where the stickers were removed by the dealer before delivery

Related thread already posted

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7019.msg39708#msg39708

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:02:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:15:27 PM »
Charlie disregard everything I sent you except the battery sticker. I did not know it was a San Jose car until now!

Jeff might have pictures of original San Jose battery stickers and the ink stamps used for "Paint OK" at San Jose in '68.

I need some help.  I am restoring a 1968 GT back to original and I need a source / pictures for the inspection stickers that would have gone on the Coougar.  It was manufactured in San Jose CA and rolled off the line on 1/1/1968.

Thank you!!
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »
Jeff might have pictures of original San Jose battery stickers and the ink stamps used for "Paint OK" at San Jose in '68.

Royce thanks I had overlooked the battery inspection sticker. Unfortunately I don't think any of the major decal/sticker suppliers are making the correct base sticker and of course all of the filled out versions I've seen so far on the web are filled out as 69-up Dearborn cars would be. I do have a source but won't promote it here.

As a reminder to others the paint inspection stamps for San Jose don't include the wording PAINT OK except in rare cases during 65-66. Just so no one reading this gets the wrong idea
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)