Author Topic: Repair headlight trim ring?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline CKF1962

Repair headlight trim ring?
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
I need the trim ring repaired, which broke at the joint (fall '65). It seems the trim ring was held together at the joint by one of the three fastener ears. The ears are spot welded to the ring. Anyone know who could reweld? A polish job would be a bonus. To be sure these are SST, correct?

K
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline jwc66k

Re: Repair headlight trim ring?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »
I need the trim ring repaired, which broke at the joint (fall '65). It seems the trim ring was held together at the joint by one of the three fastener ears. The ears are spot welded to the ring. Anyone know who could reweld? A polish job would be a bonus. To be sure these are SST, correct?
Yes, stainless steel. As the metal is thin, a spot weld would be the way to go, but will leave a "burn" mark as in a blue/black area around the weld. Polishing may or may not remove the mark. The welder will need to be very experienced, and should want a test piece to do a set up weld. Originals are not marked, so a reproductions might be a better option.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »
Yes, stainless steel. As the metal is thin, a spot weld would be the way to go, but will leave a "burn" mark as in a blue/black area around the weld. Polishing may or may not remove the mark. The welder will need to be very experienced, and should want a test piece to do a set up weld. Originals are not marked, so a reproductions might be a better option.
Jim
To add to Jims suggestion originals are out there too in relative plentiful numbers. Not a complicated part so a repro is most likely be ok. That is if you can't stand to have a repro. In this case you would most likely be good with ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CKF1962

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
This is a "weekend" car, but I can't get Speegle's signature line outta my head, so would prefer to stay with original. Can a weld shop do a SST spot job?

K
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline CKF1962

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 06:38:14 PM »
Follow up:
I bought a piece of jewelry for my Sweetie not too long ago, and on a whim got to talking with the jeweler (who is a friend) about the ring. He has this micro welder and he put it back together.

I worked on the trim with some flitz and it held together and looks pretty decent. There are sanding marks from the previous paint jobs which the flitz wouldn't touch, but the stainless looks pretty good.

K
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000