Author Topic: 1968 Late starter questions?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 1968 Late starter questions?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
On the brush holder there are 4 pop rivets where the rebuilder took out the factory rivets and replaced the holder and gasket.
I've had success filling them and repainting them so that the rivets look correctly smooth.
It is on the end most visible to judges.

I have some of the square screws if you need them. Drop me a PM.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Late starter questions?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 12:21:50 AM »
Bob if you look close it has a thick gasket under the Bendix cover and a thinner gasket under the clamp. The core had square drive screws but they were too tight for my air impact, apparently rusted solid. I plan to cap the + terminal and spray it with semi flat black making sure to not paint the mating flange area.
I see the gasket on the cover but don't see anything under the band clamp .If it is there then it isn't like original because there are empty gaps I see around where the clamp meets and around the terminal stud that typically sticks out and is visible.Yes, no pop rivets were used on the end piece like has been mentioned. Painted the starter will look fine for most purposes without further work. It is a matter of your expectations. At least discussing some of the issues allows you to pick and choose what makes the best sense to work on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby