Author Topic: Restoring window frame / 1/4 window frames  (Read 2035 times)

Offline GregM

Restoring window frame / 1/4 window frames
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
I am working away at all of the items I need to get in order before the body is done. I just removed the 1/4 windows from my parts car and windows from the doors I have on hand. The chrome is pitted and needs to be redone. What is the best way to go about disassembling the glass from the frames ? Where is the best place to send them for plating ? and any advice for reassembly ? All advice appreciated, Thanks
Greg M
5F07K..............
5R07K..............

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Restoring window frame / 1/4 window frames
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
Slide the vertical w/s out of the quarter frames and you'll see 2 flat screws at the top.  Then there are 2 screws at the back that attach the rear stainless section.  Once you remove the stainless, the glass just pulls out.  I like Qual-Krom for chrome work, but I'm sure there may be other companies recommended.  www.qual-krom.com  The owner, Bob, does a good job at making sure the detail in parts is kept like original.  He does a great job on the front vent window frames too.  They are kind of expensive, but the work is nice.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »
I also used Qual-Krom for rechroming the 1/4 & vent windows. They also have a parts restoration business alongside the rechrome shop, they can put the frames back together for you for an additional fee. They polish stainless steel too if you want those pieces looking nice.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
I just got my 1/4, vent windows back from Qual Krom. Like Charles said a little pricey but the work overall was very nice. Not the fastest turn around either
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline GregM

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »
Found the website http://www.qualkrom.com
What can I expect to pay ?
What to do about the door windows and the rear 1/4 glass ? All advice appreciated. Thanks
Greg M
5F07K..............
5R07K..............

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »
Greg-
    Qual-Krom did my rear quarter window frames last July, $165 each. They have one of my front vent window frames as we speak, was quoted $300. I'm expecting it soon, then will send the other out. Doing the fronts one at a time because of costs and so that I'll have an assembled frame as a guide to put the re-chromed one back together. I have been real happy with the results although their shipping costs seem high. Sent them my shifter lever, cost me $4 to send and $20 for them to return (in the same box).

Greg Kutz
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »

What to do about the door windows and the rear 1/4 glass ? All advice appreciated. Thanks

I guess some are replacing with correct logos and dates etched on them.  Otherwise, buffing might be an option depending on condition.  I didn't think tempered glass could be buffed, but a local business here has done wonders on some original side pieces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin