Author Topic: Hood Seal  (Read 1319 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Hood Seal
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
I found the NOS hood seal last night and have some staples which should work nicely. Problem is how do you go about installing them? I don't know why I can't find the original holes but they are not there. I don't remember filling them but maybe multiple layers of primer made them disappear. Do you just use a tiny drill and a template?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Hood Seal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:45 AM »
Yes to tiny drill. No real template as they were randomly stapled. Usually between 7 and 9
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »
Tim thanks. The template was for getting spacing between legs of each staple consistent. Should also help to keep drill from wandering.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
I found the NOS hood seal last night and have some staples which should work nicely. Problem is how do you go about installing them? I don't know why I can't find the original holes but they are not there..............

Guess one fo the first questions would be that maybe (depending on when and where your car was assembled) they didn't use staples. And secondly - has the radiator support been replaced?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
Jeff I know my 70 boss used clips so I wish that was the case with the 68. I could swear I remember seeing staples. May even have a piece of the old seal. But I remember only 6 to 8"'s. It's a summer 68 Dearborn. From what I can tell the core hasn't been replaced because of the way it was welded. Looks machine spot welded not like a torch.