Author Topic: Vent window seal  (Read 2507 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Vent window seal
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
This question pertains to the vent window on a 68. Originally there was a small rubber seal at the exterior base of the vent window frame. There is actually a step in the frame face. I can't remember if this rubber is mounted to the frame at the step or is it above. The step would end up below the top of the door. If it's placed there doesn't do much. Is it acceptable to mount the seal just above the door skin at the top?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Vent window seal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
If you're talking about the seal on the bottom of the vent frame assy at the front... it was held on with a screw originally.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
It is at the big chrome vent window frame on the exterior face. No fastener just glue. The gasket is +/- 8" long about 1/8" wide with a slight triangular crossection

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
That side strip is glued on.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
Caspian I know it's glued but is it glued at the top of the step in the frame which once installed is below the top of the door skin thus not visible or do you install the frame and then glue it on the frame at the top of the door skin to somewhat seal the gap you would have between the outer door skin and the vent frame?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
If its the same as a 67 which I think it should be its just below the step. I know it hardly seems like it does anything way down there.  Here is a picture you can see the black residue where the old seal was.  Didn't take a picture before a pulled it off or after i put it back on apparently.

Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
That's it. I don't see what it does there either so that's why I asked. Just wanted to confirm.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »
It fits in the groove which puts it below the door skin. Strange yes, but thats where it goes
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
Problem is that it is so tight that it breaks the seal between gasket and frame. I had about 2"'s let go.